Alice Is Throwing Up Her Raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Alice Is Throwing Up Her Raw

The girls have been on raw for some time now, and really things could not be going better. The only thing I've discovered, is Samantha can't handle beef liver (she gets sick every time).

Then Friday night came. Friday's dinner is kidney, so each girl got a piece of beef kidney and a small chicken heart. About 15 minutes later, Alice threw it up. (As a side, this is the first time since living with us that she's EVER thrown up too.) I didn't think too much of it, since sometimes cats do that...vomit happens. I gave them a small treat before bed, and she was fine with that.

Saturday morning rolls around, and we're ready for breakfast. The girls got a chicken heart, and some duck gizzards. About 10 minutes later, Alice throws up again... I started worrying a bit at this point, because she needs to be eating something. A little later, I drained a can of tuna and gave her the drained juice with a few very small tuna pieces, and she drank and ate with no problems.

Saturday night, is bone-in meal night. I was so worried that Alice would throw up again (and I can't imagine throwing up bone...ouch!), so I decided to give her some canned instead, from the few back-ups I have. She got Merrick's Cowboy Cookout (one of her favorites), mixed with warm water, as I was worried she'd be a little dehydrated from the past few days. I gave her a quarter can at first to see if she'd be able to keep it down, and I gave her another quarter can mixed with water about an hour later. She did fine.

This morning, I gave her the rest of the Cowboy Cookout, mixed with water, and she did just fine.

I have no idea whats causing her to throw up her raw food. As I said before, she has never thrown up before now...not once. She loves raw, especially bone-in nights. All three girls are served their portions out of the same bag, so it can't be that the food itself is contaminated. I always take out the bag from the freezer a full day before they get it (when feeding breakfast I take out the next days breakfast at the same time, and the same for dinner), and I float the bag in water a few minutes before serving as well, to make sure all is defrosted.

I did notice that when she threw up the two raw meals, that the pieces of meat were nearly whole, as in she didn't really chew them first. But thats how she always eats, she wolfs it down like its the last meal she's ever going to get.

Any ideas for me on what could be causing this? I'd like to try giving her some raw tonight for dinner, but I'm not sure if it's gonna stay down... I'll be calling my vet first thing tomorrow too...she's due for a check-up anyways, but the throwing up has me a worried Momma, so in she goes.
Time Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Seems like the heart is the culprit? Does she REALLY like them? Eat them fast? Our guys vomit if they eat things too fast.

It's possible also (but way less likely) that she is becoming sensitive to it.. you feed them quite often, yes? Almost every meal? I know it's hard to find variety where you are, but there are ways.. have you joined the raw feeding groups on Yahoo? They often have smaller towns who buy bulk/travel a small distance to get bulk deals and share..

On the liver. Our 17 year old cat ALWAYS ALWAYS vomited beef liver and beef tripe. No matter what I did or fed it with. He'd puke.

I figured, whatever, I will just give him chicken livers. But everysooften I would try the stuff he puked up, and over the last 3 years, he can now eat BOTH items without vomiting. I am sure he wasn't handling the stuff well, but being on raw so long, I think it made a difference. I would also give him smaller meals of it with other stuff I knew he could handle. The last time he threw up his tripe, I was getting up to get a papertowel and he just.. well... decided to eat it again. O_O I laughed. I said to him "I thought only DOGS did that!?".
Old 05-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks for the reply Muzby.

I get two types of hearts, chicken or duck (the Asian Market has the duck on occasion)...I could get beef heart too, but it's kind of intimidating to me so I haven't tried it yet (haha!). I take a small bag of them from the freezer and randomly give one out at either breakfast or dinner, and they get two each as a bedtime snack...3 total per day. All three of them love their hearts, and go crazy every time they see me with them. I hadn't thought about her becoming oversensitive to them... Do you think I should cut down on the amount of hearts, at least for Alice? Maybe try the beef? See what happens? I asked about too much heart in a thread a bit ago, and I think 12 a day was the too much cut-off (sodium-wise), but I guess every cat is different right? I do want to mention that I was feeding about 5-6 hearts per day before I asked, how many was too much. I've since cut it down to 3, and I thought that was a fair number.

Alice just eats fast. It doesn't matter what it is. She's always done within a few minutes of me setting down her dish for a non-bone meal, and bone-in meals take around 5-7 minutes to finish. Canned and treats are the same way. She's just a speedy eater. Now when Samantha eats too fast she throws up, but she's gotten better with slowing herself down, and we rarely have this problem anymore.

I have not checked out the Yahoo! raw feeding groups, but I will do that. I never even thought to look there. As for my variety, I didn't think I was that bad off, except for kidneys...what do you think?:
Meat - chicken, lamb, beef, goat, rabbit, occasional pork, venison when I can get it
Livers - Chicken, lamb, beef
Hearts - Chicken, duck (I can also get beef as I said)
Bone-in - Chicken ribs, chicken necks, chicken wings, cornish hens, duck wings
Kidney - Beef
Gizzards - Chicken, duck
Other - Quail eggs, sardine (1 a week), occasional shrimp

Last edited by Time Bandit; 05-01-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Oh see, maybe I was confusing you with another raw feeder, because that is a nice variety! LOL

I like the beef heart, my guys love it too! I esp like it because I can cut it into large chunks they really have the chew through, whereas the tiny hearts (duck.chicken) are a chew and DONE.

To be honest, I think she may just be eating too fast. Or, like my cat the other day - he was constipated. So started to vomit up his food. He kept down the canned stuff, but couldn't keep down meat. I gave him a small syringe full of fish oil and he was fine the next day. Is it possible Alice might be stopped up? I had to manually pull out Elliots poop, it was almost all hair! LOL Dont know where he's getting it all from, he doesn't lick himself overly.. I think he may be dragging his food to the cat tree and getting extra "flavour" (hair!!) there.

Is it possible because she is a speedy eater, that giving her larger portions she really has to chew through will help? Whole necks, etc. And then a small snack for the other meal (so you're not feeding her too much)?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Aw! Poor Alice. I hope she gets better.

They only meat I give Misa is sardines and tuna. She loves those.
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Muzby - Hehe, when I first started out with raw, my variety was next to nothing...then I found the Asian market a while ago, and so many awesome meats were available to me and the cats. The Asian market is what has allowed me to go full frankenprey.

I'll give the beef heart a try next time I go to the Asian market. Like I said, the only reason I haven't tried it yet is because it's intimidating (it's a huge heart just lying there and thats kinda creep-tastic, LOL!). I can get over my squeamishness, if it means even more variety for my girls.

I don't think she was constipated at all... Shortly after dinner last night (the first canned meal), I witnessed her pooping in the bathroom litter box, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary with it or her. Then again, I'm not sure when was the last time she pooped before that, but like I said, she didn't seem to be in any distress and the poop looked normal. If she was constipated, could the canned have helped move things along in that short of time? She pooped maybe 30 minutes after eating her first meal of the canned and about 30 minutes before receiving the second half of dinner.

I do cut the meats they get pretty large already. I want them to have to work at it, and I figure it's marginally better for their teeth. I usually pick through the bags and Alice and Samantha get the largest chunks to slow them down, while Rochelle gets the smaller ones since she takes forever to eat anyways. The large chunks slow down Samantha no problem. Alice just plows through them like it was air.

I totally agree that her eating too fast could be the culprit. I've been through the very same thing with Samantha, but moving to larger chunks of meat has worked for her. It hasn't for Alice. Any tips on getting her to slow down even more? I'd like to give her raw for tonight's meal, but I'm still leery on whether she's gonna be ok or not.

konstargirl - Thanks. Behaviorally she's great, bouncing off walls, incredibly friendly and talkative, and very playful with us and the other kitties...no changes there! And at least I can get her to eat canned with no fuss, so she should be ok. My girls LOVE sardines...they practically crawl up my legs on Sunday morning. XD

Last edited by Time Bandit; 05-01-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I don't know much about raw, but perhaps Alice was just having an "off" day or two. That sometimes happens to my girls, but the next day they're fine again (my girls aren't on raw). In your shoes, I'd try again with the raw. If she throws up this time around, then I'd start to suspect the raw, but if she's fine this time around, and tomorrow, etc., then I'd just chalk it up to one of those days. I hope she's ok.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks for the reply Susan. I did go ahead and fed her half raw/half canned last night, and she did great. She got some Nature's Variety Homestyle Duck and Lamb, and two chicken hearts (I was curious as to whether they were the culprit here). Everything stayed down, she used her litter box, and she played like there was nothing wrong.

So I dunno...maybe just an off couple of days for her? She's still going to the vet tomorrow regardless...I can't help being a chronic worrier when it comes to my kitty girls.

On a side note, I think I will be giving them a tiny bit of canned as their bedtime treat from now on...I did last night, and they all acted like it was a special treat made of gold or something, and Rochelle especially couldn't keep away from it (I think she would be happier on canned than raw anyways, so we can compromise here ).

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll keep Alice monitored, but for now things seem ok. I'll let ya'll know what the vet says.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My first inclination from reading your posts is Alice is too fast an eater. My Egypt eats anything with bone just fine, but soft organs like kidneys and hearts, she will inhale and they come right up afterwards. Does Alice vomit when you feed bone-in meals? If not, then you have your answer. By the way, it does not help to cut the organs into smaller pieces if that's the case.

I know it sounds gross, but when Egypt throws up from eating too fast, I simply let her eat the vomit and it stays down the second time around.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm glad to hear Alice seems to be ok now and I hope she gets the thumbs up from the vet!
Advertisement