buy raw meat from grocery store? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default buy raw meat from grocery store?

A lot of the raw threads mention buying meat from a butcher or Asian market. I don't understand why I can't buy meat from a regular grocery store (like say a pack of chicken breast) and then cut it up into chunks. I could see having to go to a butcher for unsual things like rabbit parts or chicken hearts etc. Is there something dangerous about grocery store meat?
purpleprincess22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I was wondering this, most butchers by me actually don't sell/give the things I need. I will be buying things like lamb hearts, livers etc ... from supermarkets. I'm going to thoroughly wash them out first. People are a bit skeptic because of the unhygienic conditions some supermarkets butcher their meat in, this is simply because they think we're going to cook all meat we buy.

However, if standards were that bad surely there'd be complaints?

I don't know, but I'll be buying from Tesco for 80% of my shopping

Old 08-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Part of the issue is simply availability. To find a variety of organ meats you usually have to go to a butcher or more varied meat market.

There are other issues to, and this is somewhat a matter of varying opinions from person-to-person. I know not everyone is quite as nitpicky about food sourcing as I am. I personally do not feel comfortable buying factory farmed meat (for my boyfriend or my cats), both for personal ethical reasons and for nutrition reasons. Factory farmed animals are usually fed diets high in corn and given regular antibiotics in their feed.

The high-corn diet causes the meat to be extremely high in omega 6s, and low in omega 3s and other key nutrients. Since cats only eat meat and therefore get those nutrients secondhand, I would assume it's especially important the meat they're eating is getting all the nutrients it needs from the proper plant sources. Cows and chickens aren't really meant to eat all-corn diets. The prey a cat would eat in the wild would consume a variety of grasses and other plants, and even bugs, resulting in better nutrient variety in the meat.

The overuse of antibiotics in our food have been linked to health issues in humans (allergies, bad reactions, antibiotic resistance). I don't know if the same can happen with cats, but I don't like taking the chance. I'm not sure how widespread the practice of injecting animals with hormones to stimulate growth still is, but that's another major historical issue that I've had with factory farming.

Factory farmed meat is also not processed in very clean or well-regulated conditions. I know cats can handle bacteria much better than we can, but having seen what goes on in a factory farm...I feel there's nothing "natural" about feeding that meat to my cats.

That said, not all grocery store meat is factory farmed or processed in such an inhumane and poorly regulated manner. You can find free-range, grass-fed meat in most major grocery stores now, and obviously there are a lot of stores out there now that focus on delivering these types of products (Trader Joe's, for example, gets a lot of their produce and meat from local farmers instead of from major corporations).

In summary, I don't think there's inherently any problem with buying meat in a grocery store vs. from a butcher or farmer's market, but it's easier to have a clear idea of where your meat is coming from and how it was treated and processed when buying from small local distributors, if that is an issue that is important to you.

Ultimately the raw meat you get in a grocery store is probably still leaps and bounds better than most commercial cat foods, so if it's your best option, I wouldn't stress about it too much. I am admittedly a little overzealous about food sourcing for myself and my cats after spending way too much time learning about the less favorable sides of the food industry.
saitenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the info! So I'll wash the meat well and look for free range, grass fed, antibiotic free meat.

*puts on to do list*

purpleprincess22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I agree with Saitenyo that the main reason is lack of variety in most supermarkets. At my local Stop n Shop, I can't get different animal kidneys, beef hearts, pork uteri, beef stomach, beef liver, duck, chicken, or turkey gizzards, etc. But, I can get them at one of my local Asian markets.

I am not a big supporter of grain free, hormone free, etc. There is still not much regulation to verify if all these products are exactly what they claim to be, but as Saitenyo said that is strictly personal preference. Most local markets that cater to these consumer demands, also do not stock the variety you will need to supply a balance diet for your cat (s).

Then, when you get into commercial raw, you're still in the same boat of having to rely on them being honest about their practices, etc. The truth is unless you are raising and killing the chicken yourself there is no true way to tell if what you are getting is what has been gimmicked to you. The USDA regulations are not that stringent to ensure the claims are what they actually say.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Ever notice how many grocery store meats are recalled because of E-Coli, or something? I don't think I've ever seen a news story about meats from some little community market that got people sick.

And yes, the variety. I can usually get cornish game hens, beef liver and chicken heart/livers. Sometimes cow tongue. Anything more "exotic", has to be bought at an ethnic store.
Vivid Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Guess I'm the lone ranger on this one. I typically tell people to start looking at their local grocery store and then branch out to other options (Asian markets, online vendors, etc.) if they can't find what they're looking for.

Frankly, I just buy the least expensive non-enhanced meats for my furbabies. If I have a choice between antibiotic and hormone-free, that's what I'll go with, but if not, so be it. ALL the meat and stuff that ends up in a commercially-prepared product comes from the same original animals that my grocery-store bought meat comes from - or worse - and is always the un-fit cuts, etc. So, no, I'm not sweating this.

For what it's worth, my beef kidney and chicken liver always comes from my local Stop & Shop (availability and price, respectively). If they have chicken wings on sale, I'll buy those, too. My turkey drumsticks, chicken quarters, gizzards, chicken breast with ribs, and chicken wings (usually) comes from my local PriceRite (lowest price and availability), while my beef and pork come from the closest BJ's (lowest price). I buy my duck, chicken and turkey hearts, turkey liver and rabbit pieces from Hare-Today 'cause the price is decent and I can't get them anywhere else.

I get my crickets from the local PetCo.

AC

Last edited by Auntie Crazy; 08-25-2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Added cricket comment.
Auntie Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy View Post
Guess I'm the lone ranger on this one. I typically tell people to start looking at their local grocery store and then branch out to other options (Asian markets, online vendors, etc.) if they can't find what they're looking for.

Frankly, I just buy the least expensive non-enhanced meats for my furbabies. If I have a choice between antibiotic and hormone-free, that's what I'll go with, but if not, so be it. ALL the meat and stuff that ends up in a commercially-prepared product comes from the same original animals that my grocery-store bought meat comes from - or worse - and is always the un-fit cuts, etc. So, no, I'm not sweating this.

For what it's worth, my beef kidney and chicken liver always comes from my local Stop & Shop (availability and price, respectively). If they have chicken wings on sale, I'll buy those, too. My turkey drumsticks, chicken quarters, gizzards, chicken breast with ribs, and chicken wings (usually) comes from my local PriceRite (lowest price and availability), while my beef and pork come from the closest BJ's (lowest price). I buy my duck, chicken and turkey hearts, turkey liver and rabbit pieces from Hare-Today 'cause the price is decent and I can't get them anywhere else.
We have basically done the same thing for the past year with no problems. (For their frankenprey meal, that is. They have been eating one-day-old chicks for their other two meals for over a year now too.) My largest and oldest cat lost 1.5kg and is now in perfect shape and my second oldest cat no longer pees on my bed due to bladder crystals. The only thing that makes me unhappy about all of this is the fact that I didn't do it sooner.

Now, however, we get all of our food from a company that supplies zoos. They have EVERYTHING from chicken hearts, liver, necks, duck hearts, liver, necks, rabbit (whole and ground), whole mice, and much much more. So, perhaps looking for a zoo supplier might be the way to go? All of their meat comes directly from farms and is checked for salmonella and e-coli etc. since not all animals are as resistant to bacteria as cats are. And like someone else said, it is expected that all human-consumption food will be cooked.

Quote:
I get my crickets from the local PetCo.

AC
Crickets! Cool! We want to set up a cricket hatchery one day. There is one at my boyfriend's school so we brought home some crickets one time. We figured they'd be dead before we got home but they weren't Needless to say the cats had a pretty good time with them, hehe. Insects are good for them
Old 08-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Tanyuh, I'm interested in that zoo supplier idea! How did you go about finding one? Is this something you search for online or ask you local zoo about?
saitenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyuh View Post
We have basically done the same thing for the past year with no problems. (For their frankenprey meal, that is. They have been eating one-day-old chicks for their other two meals for over a year now too.) My largest and oldest cat lost 1.5kg and is now in perfect shape and my second oldest cat no longer pees on my bed due to bladder crystals. The only thing that makes me unhappy about all of this is the fact that I didn't do it sooner.

Now, however, we get all of our food from a company that supplies zoos. They have EVERYTHING from chicken hearts, liver, necks, duck hearts, liver, necks, rabbit (whole and ground), whole mice, and much much more. So, perhaps looking for a zoo supplier might be the way to go? All of their meat comes directly from farms and is checked for salmonella and e-coli etc. since not all animals are as resistant to bacteria as cats are. And like someone else said, it is expected that all human-consumption food will be cooked.

Crickets! Cool! We want to set up a cricket hatchery one day. There is one at my boyfriend's school so we brought home some crickets one time. We figured they'd be dead before we got home but they weren't Needless to say the cats had a pretty good time with them, hehe. Insects are good for them
First of all - and I don't say this often - I'm way jealous of your food supply.

Second - a cricket hatchery? LOL! You are one brave lady!

AC
Auntie Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement