raw fed cats and red meat...? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default raw fed cats and red meat...?

Okay, so I've been feeding my dog prey model raw for about a year now and just recently found a very young kitten and decided to keep him. My plan is to start feeding him prey model raw too.

I have a question though. I've read on a few sites and have been told by a few people that red meat and red meat organs are a no no? I found this odd since everything says red meat is far superior for dogs. I already have quite a bit of red meat and bison liver and ostrich liver (due to my dog) so it would suck to have to go and buy separate liver and what not for him. So should it be fine for him?

A friend did give me the rest of her premade which is lamb and it has lamb liver, kidney, and spleen and he's doing just fine on it... I don't know, now I'm confused at this information.

Last edited by marie73; 09-23-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: language
Anastasiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Honestly, I've heard the same variety of opinions on red meat.

Here's what I've gathered from it:

Cats will not die on red meat. They digest it just fine. Some cats are ALLERGIC to beef, of course - it seems to be one of the more common food allergies in cats.

However, if the cat is not allergic, there is no reason not to feed beef.

A caveat - it is best to feed a variety of meats, actually - don't limit kitty's diet to just beef :} Get some chicken or turkey in there, or even things like cornish hen, rabbit, lamb, etc.

Keep in mind that for cats, liver should only make up ~5% of their diet.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks! I hadn't planned on feeding a lot of red meat. I was going to feed mainly chicken, turkey (cheaper anyway), rabbit, and chicken/turkey hearts. Then I would throw him some red meat occasionally just for variety and because I always have quite a bit on hand.

Red meat organs are just a lot easier to find here. I have a lot of options for liver but when it comes to the other half of the organs, I can only get beef parts.

Oh I know only 5%, I actually feed my dog an 80/10/10 ratio. No veggies for her
Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "red meat." Cats are no more likely to be allergic to it than to any other protein (at least when fed raw).

Feed whatever you like!
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I have one cat who will yak up raw beef within minutes of eating it (I still have to hide little bits of raw in his canned to get him to eat ANY amount of raw anything), so I figure he's got some kind of sensitivity to it. My other cats, however, have eaten beef, venison, goat, etc with no issues. Actually, beef heart and pork are some of their favorites! I agree that variety is key, and believe that having some red meat in the diet (as long as the cat will tolerate it) is very important to creating a well-rounded diet for your kitty.
RachelsaurusRexU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

I would think it is the type of protein (size of animal) rather than red meat or not. Panther is allergic to beef, lamb, goat, venison, and rabbit (yes, rabbit, I don't know why). But he does well with duck (yes, duck is a red meat).

I guess as long as your cat is fine with a certain protein, there is no reason not to feed it.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I have one who won't eat red meat. At first she did try, and brought it right back up. Now she just flat out refuses it. She says hasn't she proved to me by now that she can't take it?

So no lamb or beef for her. The other two like it fine and have no trouble with it.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

If you can get some hearts in there, or taurine supplements if you can't get heart, that would good. Otherwise unless the cat is allergic or ends up having a delicate tummy, it shouldn't be a problem. Personally, I'm wary of pork but others say they feed their cats pig products and have no issues, so that's just kind of my hang-up I guess.
Penguin_Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I have a pork hang up too! That's why my No Beef girl is getting only poultry. But I feed a rotation of commercial raw, prey-model and canned so I have had to make up my mind that she is getting enough variety.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Seems like many cats here have problems with red meat.

So far, my kitty has eaten a wide variety and he's doing great! He's been on a lot of beef and pork, some chicken for bone content, chicken heart, rabbit heart, and rabbit liver and kidney. He tolerates all of this just fine. I've yet to find an item that gives him diarrhea or makes him puke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement