Best online source for quail? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Best online source for quail?

Either dressed or whole prey (I think I'll have to clean them for my picky cats anyway), where do you get them? I just received my first ever Hare Today order and I'm very happy with it, but they're too expensive to be a regular source for me. Someplace I could order in bulk from would be great, and where the shipping cost isn't terribly prohibitive. I'm on the east coast. Any suggestions would be great!
RachelsaurusRexU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

The only place I know of is Free-Range Venison, Antelope, and Wild Boar Meat - Buy Online | Broken Arrow Ranch and they aren't my version of cheap but that might just be because I can be pretty cheap sometimes lol.

Example of some of their pricing on whole dressed quail is 20 birds for $77.00 (that's with shipping). Or 32 birds for $110 (again, that's with shipping).

Any reason why you want quail? I find just buying cornish hens from Safeway is more cost effective ha.
Anastasiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Holy smokes! Yeahhh...definitely not cheap haha. I thought I had heard of a place that sells whole prey quail and chicks along with rodents and such. It may or may not be RodentPro, but it's someplace like that. I'll have to search around.

I guess I wanted to get some quail both for the variety and because the bones are so tiny. Two of my cats are not fans of bone in items so I figured I'd try something a little easier to get through.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Lol yea I wanted to use quail at first too until I realized what it would cost at most places. There might be cheaper sources but I haven't found one yet.

My little kitten and Chihuahua can get through cornish hen bones just fine, they're just chickens that can't be any bigger than 2 lbs. I get them for about $1.99 per pound. I would buy one and see how your kitties do. It might be a cheaper alternative.

If by a miracle I find a decent priced quail supplier, I'll post it
Anastasiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Hare Today sells whole quail.

https://www.hare-today.com/index.php?cPath=23_51

I get mine very cheaply locally, though. Most Asian groceries sell dressed quail--I get mine 6 for $8.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

They do eat Cornish hen, but two of them are so dang lazy about the bones. I just figured something more fragile would be easier for them to get through so they wouldn't give up on their meal. The price is definitely a little prohibitive though. Thanks for the tip, hoofmaiden, I'll try Asian markets. Otherwise, I guess we'll be crushing Cornish hens for a while!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

So far I have had 0% luck feeding my little monkey whole prey. I haven't pushed very hard, though I will push a little harder... her gums could use it.

I just bought a bag of quail from Hare Today. Does anyone have any tricks to get a first timer to eat this? Otherwise I will go with adding to her ground, little by little.

Last edited by 11201ny; 11-23-2012 at 09:13 AM.
11201ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I get mine from the Asian market, also 6 for $8-9 depending on the season.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Because quails are a human delicacy (not enough meat for me really) it pushes up the price. Could you go straight to a breeder?
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement