ground chicken - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default ground chicken

i went to a burcher today, and they had ground chicken, and it was frozen in one pound containers...he said the whole chicken was ground, but no organs who chicken with bones....he said they sold it to folks that had pets...you think this is good for my cats, i have all the other stuff to put in it?
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Out of curiosity, do they sell this for human consumption or strictly as pet food?
Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Moved to Raw Forum...please put your posts regarding raw here.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

he just said it was ground whole chicken...it looks good...i doubt one would want to eat ground bones, etc.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Scottd raised a good question which needs answering: if the chicken was ground specifically for pets, then yes, it could include bone though I'm a little surprised it doesn't also include organs. (And, I wish I had that kind of butcher where I lived!) You'd also need to know the answers to figure out how much organs (liver, kidney) and bone to add. If for human consumption too, then definitely no bone and probably no organs. I would also ask how quickly after the chicken was ground was it frozen; bacteria in ground meat can be a problem.
Ritzpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

i sort of wondered about the bone too,,,he said it was the whole chicken, minus that organs....i know how much liver to add from catinfo.org,,,,,,4 oz to 3 lbs, chicken meat...
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

I have bought ground chicken (chicken mince) from my local butcher. I specifically asked if it contained bone, and he told me that it didn't as you are not allowed to sell it with bone to humans. If it has the bone it's fine. But if not you will have to add ground egg shell or bone meal to make up for it. I do 1/4 tsp per 100gs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzpg View Post
... I would also ask how quickly after the chicken was ground was it frozen; bacteria in ground meat can be a problem.
I wouldn't worry too much. I feed my cat defrosted mince, that I had frozen myself. She loves it. Cats are more reliant than you might think. Most cats have salmonella in their digestive tract at some point, but are not affected by it. "A cat's digestive tract is short and acidic, and processes a species-appropriate raw diet highly efficiently in about 12 hours. This gives very little time for bacteria to proliferate, so cats are naturally resistant to food poisoning" (The Benefits of a Raw Diet for Your Cat) Also, cat's have an incredible sense of smell, and most will not eat anything that smells 'wrong', or that they know could harm them.
I<3BabyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

i am using chicken breast, can get it for $1.77 lb on sale..cats eat better than i do....going to use the turkey i got from work next....i don,t buy the butcher meat anymore, the vet at catinfo.org told me to stop feeding it, too much bone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement