Need Advice About My Fat Cat - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Kitten

I was thinking of starting off with some ground meat/bones and organs from Hare Today till they get used to it then start to introduce raw pieces with the bones. Is there anything I should add to the ground meat supplement wise. I read if it is frozen you may need to add thaimine and taurine but I don't want to add things if there isn't a need too.
Sage8662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat Addict

When I feed the ground mixes, I usually add Taurine. Cats can always use the extra Taurine.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweamgoil View Post
When I feed the ground mixes, I usually add Taurine. Cats can always use the extra Taurine.
Thanks for the reply, I will add that to my list.
Sage8662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cat Addict

This is my fat cat, Lottie. She has lost more weight since then but had already lost a lot from when we got her.

Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cat

your cat is fat because of the food you are feeding her.....when i started feeding my cats earthborn chicken, they started loosing weight....now i feed a raw diet from catinfo.org, no more canned food with all that garbage in it that makes them fat, but the earthborn chicken will not make them fat....raw is the best, since its all meat...
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Add taurine whenever you use ground meat. Air exposure decreases taurine content. To avoid this, just give them a complete piece of meat. If you are worried, try giving a little bit of liver first (the texture is closest to wet food) to see how it'll go over (and it is cheap so you don't waste a lot of money buying food your cat may/maynot eat). You can always try bribing kibble addicts a bit too (as I saw earlier, mixing wet and dry or dry and raw), or if my cat gets finicky with raw, I stuff it with a couple cat treats. By the time she gets the treats, she has eaten some of the meat, so she just keeps going.
katbaalew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cat

My cat is very overweight also and I have been battling with it for ages. We have only had him 10 months but since being with us he has put on 2.2lbs! It wasn't until I joined this forum that I realised that it was probably the dry food that has caused this as when we got him he was on a rubbish wet and dry mix and I just thought that 'good quality' dry was the way to go..

Anyways.. Feeding whole prey.. Could you get a mouse from a pet shop, defrost it and feed that? I don't think tinker would eat it but I'm just curious
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Our local pet shop sells small frozen mice (they refer to them as pinkies) - they mainly seem to be bought by people with tarantulas and snakes.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Pinkies are too small for adult cats long-term, but are fine for starting out. I order my mice online-- American Rodent Supply or Frozen Mice, Frozen Rats, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chicks and Quail . You get better prices than from the pet store (they all order from those places and then mark them up).
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Before I transitioned my cats to the raw food, I had to get my dry-food addict cat to adopt the can food. I tried all kinds of stuff to get my young cat off the kibble addict state.

Things that I think that worked: Set twice or three times a day as a meal time. Outside of the meal time, remove the food bowl from the house. At first, you may give them the kibble for meal since that's the food your cat will eat.
Once she is used to the meal time, replace one of the meals to can food. In the can food, add your cat's favorite as a topping. In my case, fortiflora, pieces of kibble, tuna flake worked the best, warming it up with warm water is good too. If that did not work, I turned to not-very-reputable can food like Royal Canine Can, or something with tuna in it, just to get them used to can.

When my cat is getting "somewhat" used to the can food for all meals, I'd remove the dry kibble bag to outside of the house so that the cat cannot smell the food in the house.
ccomaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement