Throwing up raw? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Throwing up raw?

Ghost and Blitz are raw fed, I make a ground mix using chicken thighs, beef heart, liver, kidney, tongue, mackerel, and sometimes a bit of lamb, rabbit, etc that happens to be on sale. They do awesome on it and eat close to 8oz a day each since they're still kittens.
Clementine won't touch it, so she eats canned. I've tried to find what she doesn't like in the raw mix, but she'll eat everything separately as it comes out of the grinder, but not together. I've started mixing tiny bits of the raw in with her canned and she does eat it. We're at about 10% of her meal now, but a few times now she's thrown everything up a few hours after eating. I don't think she has an intolerance to any of the raw as she used to eat a pre made raw in the same meats. I'm wondering if it's the mix of canned and raw that's making her throw up or maybe she's just eating too much too fast? They get fed three times a day, as much as they want since they're 8 months and 6 months.
I really want her on raw as well as it's so much cheaper and I already make 70lbs of mix and package it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
kayla baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Could it be something else? Lottie copes with raw, home cooked and canned - even dried - but can't handle gravy in any form. The others can cope with anything!!

Last edited by Arianwen; 11-09-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Bad grammar through usual posting too quickly!!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

I know this sounds weird, but do you "thaw" the raw before you feed it/mix it into Clementine's food? I know some people don't like to warm up raw portions in hot water because it partially cooks the raw, but sometimes kitties can't handle cold food. The only times my 14-year-old cat has thrown up on her raw diet is when I gave it to her when it was still too cold.

Has she ever vomited on just the canned food?

I have also heard that many times vomiting IS caused by eating too fast, so perhaps you can supervise Clementine's meals and dole out small portions at a time, let her finish, and then dole out some more :}
Old 11-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakotaWolf View Post
I know this sounds weird, but do you "thaw" the raw before you feed it/mix it into Clementine's food? I know some people don't like to warm up raw portions in hot water because it partially cooks the raw, but sometimes kitties can't handle cold food. The only times my 14-year-old cat has thrown up on her raw diet is when I gave it to her when it was still too cold.
Don't use hot water, just use warm water from the tap. You aren't going to partially cook anything unless you're using boiling water. Just give it a couple minutes in warm water and it should warm up.

My older cat can't handle cold food. She'll puke cold canned even. I always warm raw slightly before she gets it.
catinthemirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

If I were you I would try feeding her the raw separately and only one meat at a time, whichever she likes. This way if she is OK, you will know she doesn't actually have a problem digesting the raw food itself.

With the being sick from eating too fast, this happened to my cat when she started really getting into the raw diet, and finding she really enjoyed things. I put some chicken hearts down for her and she ate them so fast that she threw them all back up again. It wasn't the hearts that were the problem, as she's had them loads since and been fine, I just watched her wolf them down, it was obviously why she was sick.
I<3BabyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

She really likes heart, so I might just get some chicken hearts and see if she'll eat those on their own. She eats her canned cold from the fridge with no problem and has never thrown that up before.
She's my diva cat. She's even picky about her canned foods. She wants mainly chicken based foods, but would never eat the chicken nature's variety raw, but will nibble at the ground chicken things before it's mixed. I'm thinking it's the organ that she doesn't like, which is kind of important.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

I think that they put stuff in commercial foods that cats get addicted to them, or maybe they don't put it in intentionally, but there is some additive or chemical that they get hooked on. I came up with this theory because I never transitioned my cat by mixing in raw to her canned. I just cut it out straight away, and fed her cooked chicken and tuna, with some Felini Complete (a supplement with all the vitamins and minerals they need). I know she goes mad for cooked chicken, so I knew that she wouldn't starve. But by the end of the second day she was crying and didn't want the chicken. This is what made me think 'why would she want canned over the food that normally she goes nuts for?' After about 8 or 9 days of her not getting any canned, it seemed that it must have got out of her system, because suddenly she was really open to eating raw. At first turkey mince, then hearts then the rest.

My point is, if you know she likes some raw things, then why not cut out the canned and build around that. While canned is still on offer you might find she remains reluctant. Chicken or turkey mince would be a good one to try her one, because it is soft like canned foods. Turkey mince was the first raw food she really wolfed down. Obviously don't let it go past 12 hours without feeding her if she really digs her heels in, but it's worth a try.

Last edited by marie73; 12-09-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

We tried just stopping the canned when I first started the other two on raw and she lost half a pound before we realized she actually wasn't eating. If she'll take to chicken hearts and maybe pieces of dark chicken meat I'll try dropping the canned. Mixing isn't cutting it right now. Once I try to add more than about 15% raw she won't touch it. Meanwhile, her brother is 9.5lbs of lean muscle eating 8oz of raw a day, and Ghost is 6 months old, two months younger than her, eats 8oz a day and weighs 8.3lbs. She's a tiny fragile-feeling little thing at 6.5lbs.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Oh bless her, she's tiny. Don't worry, you'll get there. There is no reason why pure raw would make her sick. But stick with it, she'll get there in the end, and it will be really exciting when she does. It sounds like you did a great job with the other two. I know it's silly, but I love to just stare at my cat eating her food now, because it so satisfying to see.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

The boys are ravenous and will eat anything and everything they're given. Clem has always been the picky little princess. Hopefully tomorrow will be the start of her new diet. She really is little, though. Not the best picture, but Blitz is her brother and is a good 3 pounds heavier at 8 1/2 months:
Throwing up raw?-imageuploadedbypg-free1352774252.545920.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement