Want to go Home Prepared...Confused by contradicting info - Page 4 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #31 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Turtle has SOLID POOP!!! For the first time since she started pooping without help from her mother. She has ALWAYS had pancake batter poop....and I know it was hers, because she is also the ONLY one who preferred using the bathtub to do her business in.

After the first day of raw feeding, she is having a normal looking bowel movement! And everyone elses waste is smaller...though I expected that.

FranklinStreetWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Those are some cute kittens, by the way. The long haired tabby is gorgeous!!!

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #33 (permalink)
Cat

go here and read about raw diets, it takes some time, but well worth it-
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
since i don,t yet have a grinder, i buy raw meat ,and add bone meal....when i get a grinder, i will grind bone and meat, since bone marrow is healty.

the is my receipe i use from cat info....taurine is important , or your cat will go blind.
3lb. chicken breast, i put through a grinder
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites, slightly cooked
400 iu units of vitamin e-powder
50 mg of vitamin b-powder
2000 mg taurine-powder
2.25 tablespoons bone powder
4 oz ground chicken liver
1 c warm water
1/2 tsp iodine salt with chicken, not rabbit
5000mg salmon oil-capsule
mix the vitamin e, b , salt, taurine power, bone powder, in the 1 c warm water, then add to meat

just read catinfo.org, lots of info besides diet....i still feed my cats 1 can earthborn chicken , one 5 oz can every 3rd day as treat

Last edited by ronss; 11-19-2012 at 04:57 AM.
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Cat

This might be a dumb question. But what are the egg whites for? Do u have to cook them or can u just toss them out and just use the yolks?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #35 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

One note on grinding: it decreases taurine content of meat. Cats don't naturally produce it (unlike dogs), but it is natural in all meats. Unfortunately, it is sensitive to air exposure, so its best to just plop down a cut of meat for them to eat. Also, with the organ meats, the concern involves too much vitamin A (from what I can garner anyway), which can cause back problems. Really, you want to mimic what they would naturally eat (a little organ, a meaty bone, a little skin) to get the best results.

Additives and veg aren't really necessary if you keep the diet varied. When my cat got pre diabetes, my vet told me to just start giving our cat cuts off our meat before we cooked it. Since then, she has been far healthier and all her vitamin levels, etc are normal even without adding anything to the meat!
katbaalew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #36 (permalink)
Cat

the reciepe i got from catinfo.org....what would you suggest then in place of chicken liver????i agree, lots of vit a in it.

Last edited by marie73; 12-02-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinStreetWest View Post
Turtle has SOLID POOP!!! For the first time since she started pooping without help from her mother. She has ALWAYS had pancake batter poop....and I know it was hers, because she is also the ONLY one who preferred using the bathtub to do her business in.

After the first day of raw feeding, she is having a normal looking bowel movement!
Yup.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #38 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
This might be a dumb question. But what are the egg whites for? Do u have to cook them or can u just toss them out and just use the yolks?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
The egg white is the clear white part of the egg that surrounds the yolk and protects it. Egg whites consist mainly of water, proteins, minerals, vitamins, fats and glucose. They have very small amounts of fat and cholesterol, but are rich in selenium and vitamins such as Vitamin D, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12. The protein Ovalbumin present in egg whites is important for the metabolism of enzymes in the body. Egg whites also contain minerals such as zinc, iron, copper, phosphorus, calcium and potassium. These minerals help in the development of teeth, bones
Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #39 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
The egg whites should definitely be cooked. They contain the enzyme avidin, which reduces biotin (vitamin B7) absorption, potentially causing a deficiency. The enzyme is destroyed by heat, leaving only the good but non-essential stuff behind. Or just toss it out (or save it and make a lot of meringue/angelfood cake/pastry-brush for yourself).
Penguin_Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement