Catnip in Raw? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Catnip in Raw?

I just fed my first raw meal to the gang with mixed results. But I expected a few to be fussy.

Nikki, Bessie, Bunny, Turtle, Spot and Wilbur all took to like ducks to water. Wilbur threw up, but he might have eaten too fast...and Mike fed it cold.

Silver and Audrey just ignored it.

MissMouse said "what is this, a joke??! Real funny. Get the real food out of the can now!"

While reading ingredient labels on commercial raw diets, I saw one that listed catnip. Has anyone tried that approach? The idea sounds plausible...and then I picture MissMouse in the yard one muddy spring, rolling and rubbing as hard as she could on the fresh new leaves of the catnip plant...CAKED in mud when I found her. And I can just see her rubbing herself in the meat instead of eating it.
FranklinStreetWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I decided to just give it a try. Since three of them wouldn't touch their raw meal, and I didn't want them to go without at least a small meal, I went to the store on my way home from work. I picked up one can of food that I know they eat, and some catnip.

When I got home I seperated the three that were apprehensive. Silver, Audrey and MissMouse. Then I mixed a little catnip on the raw food. This at least got them to touch the food and try to eat it. When they stopped showing interest in the catnip/rawfood, I got out the can....they knew what that smell was!! So I took a butter pat amount of canned food on a knife and smeared it well into the raw, then I took the same amount and smeared it across the top.

This method seems to work on the stubborn three. They were still a bit unsure of the large chunks, but they cleaned their plated. MissMouse, who is accustomed to letting her 1/4c. of kibble sit all night as she grazes it, didn't eat it all in one sitting, but she did eat it all by later in the night. She was the one I was worried most about being a hard-case. She is the oldest, at 4, and doesn't even like treats...just her kibble (can we only ever fed when administering meds).
FranklinStreetWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

When I first started out with raw food I had to use all kinds of bribes to get my older cat to eat it. Sometimes you have to be inventive to get them to try something new.

As soon as they get a little more used to the taste and texture of raw food you can slowly decrease the amount of canned food you add. I still have to use the occasional bribe to get Sassy to clean her plate (thankfully she likes freeze dried chicken so that's what I usually use), but only sometimes. She doesn't like catnip but I have sprinkled a pinch over raw food for my other cat. Anything they're used to eating or really like to eat will work for a bribe.
catinthemirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement