ernie & emmy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default ernie & emmy

New to worrying about cats and their eating habits....have always easily fed cheap dry food...left out to eat at will. The cats are my daughters, and now that they are overweight she wants to change their eating habits and bring weight down.
Have started canned and the pouch variety, no problems with cats eating it. Will use up existing dry, and due to camping in the summer they will need to continue to eat dry while we are gone a couple days at a time.
In no way shape or form will I be trying to feed the cats raw, sorry, not in my lifestyle for the cats. BUT, I would be interested in learning if there are small raw snacks that can be given to them on occasion, kind of like the meaty bones I give to dogs for chewing needs. Ernie is 20lbs, Emmy is 16...I'm sure with the new feeding shedule twice daily they will lose the weight needed. Can we give them say, a chicken wing, pork neck bone (about 3 inches in length) or maybe half of breast on occasion?
kimmers39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Good for you for switching to wet food, the sooner the better.
Yes, as an occasional treat you can give them raw chicken breast. Pork bone is hard, not a bone I'd start out with. Chicken wing or bones from a cornish hen might be more chewable. And of course under no circumstances should the bones be cooked.
Regarding treats, you can try 100% dehydrated chicken, turkey, tuna treats, also liver. You can find them in Petco or high end independent pet stores. These meat treats are more commonly found in the dog section, but as long as the treat is 100% meat, you can use those (adjust the portion size accordingly).
Ritzpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Asian markets should have chicken gizzard and hearts. They are good for snack. I find them to be cheaper than the treats sold at petco and healthier.
ccomaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement