Allergic to raw ground premix? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Allergic to raw ground premix?

Hi, I have a cat that is having an allergic reaction to something, and I'm wondering if it's in the TC Feline (US version) that I am using. He (Lewis) is 15 years and this summer was diagnosed with pancreatitis and IBD (did not do blood test for lymphoma). He had a feeding tube for awhile and was put on Budesonide. He had been eating canned food, mostly chicken and fish. We switched to rabbit and duck (canned). In November I started feeding ground raw (boneless turkey, duck, and rabbit) and the TC Feline with chicken liver premix. All my cats love the food and mix. I went with boneless because I figured it was a good start. I chose TC Feline because I thought bone meal would be better than other calcium options. Since then, his brother (Clark) has been diagnosed with bladder cancer so we are going to keep off real bone. I don't want to complicate Clark's situation. Anyway, since going raw, Lewis has developed many (25?) hot spots along his back and sides, about the size of a pencil eraser, and he's not happy. There are no fleas in sight, so I'm looking internally. I wondered if it was a reaction to the Budesonide so asked the vet if we could wean him off since he has no vomiting or diarrhea. She wasn't sure it would cause this reaction but agreed to try weaning him off. He's now down to .125ml per day. She's being very cautious and going slowly. In looking at his foods, I can stop the raw turkey since that's close to chicken. Would real chicken liver help over the spray dried in the premix? Should I try beef liver? I've read all cats don't like it and in the past Lewis never liked canned beef meals. If I use real liver I could switch to Alnutrin as the premix which removes whey protein and kelp from the diet, but that's changing the calcium source. Since I also have a kitten in the house, is that okay for her? This is probably far too many questions for one post, but any advice or suggestion is welcome. My vet is supportive about a raw diet but is not a nutritionist. Any practical experience in this area would be a help. Thanks!
LCSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

We found a flea! That means miliary dermatitis, which is much more easily treatable than a food allergy. I'm still thinking of using the Alnutrin with eggshell supplement for the boneless meat, but now as an alternate to the TC Feline mix rather than instead. Is that weird to have an overall diet with two different sources of calcium? I think it's important to expand food options and using alternating supplements would accomplish that. I could also try prey type food with the kitten. I bought chicken livers and will use it instead of the powder option. So now my focus is on calcium sources as well as figuring how to keep fleas away from my indoors-only cats.
LCSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Ive had good luck with Revolution and Advantage II.... I dont particularly like frontline... Revolution prevents against heart worms too.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter

Last edited by marie73; 01-04-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

To figure out whether your cat has allergy or not, I would simplify recipe as much as possible. It can mean feeding one meat only for a couple weeks, wo the supplements. Add supplements one at a time gradually. I dont use those mix but buy each separately and it is as good as the Tcfeline or any other. Eg buy taurin, vit B ,vit E fish oil for pets, etc from swansonvitamines or whole foods.
Also try asking your questions to feline-nutrition.org or the Tcfeline website. They usually seem to be eager to help!
ccomaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

FYI Gracie has eaten TC Feline and many other premixes and used to be sensitive to the calcium sources, but her digestion finally balanced out completely with the addition of probiotics. The vet gave her the prescription one the first time around, and then I just mail-ordered the same brand. The brand was Proviable DC for Cats and Dogs.

I have also had very good results from various supplements from the folks called Natural Pet, online. I am sure there are other sources for good stuff, but I appreciate all the customer reviews on their website, it seems like most of the pet owners are conscientious about writing up their experiences and opinions, which helps a lot when deciding to try something or not. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Fran