For those who feed whole prey... Need advice please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Talking For those who feed whole prey... Need advice please

Alright so Ive been reading anything and everything about frankenprey or whole prey diets. Ive been throwing the idea around on trying so Im gonna give it a go. I read about feeding whole mice and a variety of there things but it struck me how easy is that to just toss them a mouse or a baby chick or quail.... So tomorrow Im gonna try some mice. I got some frozen feeder mice from my local pet store tonight. I just have one concern though... Does freezing the mice kill any bacteria or ailments they might of had alive? Or maybe how should good frozen mice look?? Should I be worried at all that feeding a whole mouse could make my kitties sick?? The last thing is what is the acceptable way to thaw them? I read only in the fridge but I wanted to ask all of you to make sure. I would try tonight but like i said they are still frozen..

Thanks in advance!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I hope you have better luck than I did. When I tried frozen mice, my cats could not figure out they were food. They came 6 to a bag and were yellow with urine from the freezing process. They had to be washed and thawed. Then I had to slice them down the middle to get them to bleed to appear more appetizing. Only one cat out of the four ate the mouse. I am not the biggest fan of handling the mice to begin with so it wasn't worth it for us.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Well Godzilla used to be an outside cat so I'm thinking he will have no issue with him and skeeter is a pig who eats everything so he might not be a problem either. But the thing I'm worried about is how these frozen mice look... I want to add a picture.... I think I'm just being paranoid but what about mites!? Do you see the little specks in this pic?? Sorry to anyone who's sqeemish...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter

Last edited by doodlebug; 01-05-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Photos of dead animals are not allowed
Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I've been reading about how rodent pros mice are clean and freshly frozen and if I was going to put frozen mice in that category I don't think these mice would be in it..... Any opinions? Some are a little wet looking too like fur all spread in different directions.... I don't want to give these to my cats if someone doesn't think they look ok...

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I would wash them in warm water and rub the spots to see if they come off (if it's anything on the fur or if it's some kind of skin condition) and if they come off, I would feed them...just my 2 cents though.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

How about thawing them?? Should I try washing them while still frozen or wait till they are thawed.... Also do they have to be thawed in the fridge or can I set them in a bag in warm water and let them thaw?

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I usually thaw meat in the fridge. I separate it the day before and let it thaw slowly. Right before you serve them, you can wash them and inspect them. In a pinch, I do thaw in warm water, but I try not to do this too often as the heat will degrade the nutrients.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Well.... I thawed them out... Once I got a good look at them one was missing a ton of fur.... Indicating not a healthy/takin care of mouse... I didn't really trust that pet store it's not the cleanest establishment... I was afraid of that.... Well I guess I will try ordering from rodent pro. Any other recommendations for clean healthy mice??

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I'm looking at Snake Food, Reptile Food, Feed Carnivores, Birds of Prey : Layne Labs.com because they are here on the west coast and I like that they donate every year to wildlife sanctuaries.
They seem to use the same method for killing and freezing as rodent-pro and hair today.
I'm really confused on what size of prey to get for my almost 5 month old girl. I'm leaning towards young enough to not have fur or feathers. I don't know what size or how many or what. I do know that I would love to not have to chop up a bunch of meat every week!
kjeter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

If I had to guess I would say a hopper or a small for her... But I'm new at this so I'm not entirely sure... And thanks for posting that link! Their mice are a lot cheaper than rodent pro

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement