Ground food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Ground food

For those of you who grind your cat's food, how fine do you do it?

I was looking at https://www.hare-today.com and noticed that they offer it both finely and coarsely ground.

The kitten that I'm getting (in about 6 weeks; waiting for her to be old enough) has been fed mostly raw, with some canned food and kibble since birth (the breeder does this since she can't predict what the new owners will want to feed). As a result, she will already be use to raw, so I'd think that she won't need to be transitioned with finely ground meat. However, since I've never fed raw before (my last cat was fed kibble) I want to double check.

I plan to start off with all high-quality wet with a few raw treats. Eventually, the goal is mostly or all raw. I want to make sure that I'm well-educated on proper preparation first though.

Anyhow, finely ground or coarsely ground? Or does it even matter.

Thanks.
Pursestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

^^
Thanks for the reply.

However, to start with my cat is going to get high-quality canned food with some raw treats to keep her use to the idea of raw. I won't be doing Frankenprey for quite some time. She'll be getting ground meat + chunks (maybe a few chicken or turkey necks). Hopefully, I've eventually be able to move her over to an entirely raw, Frankenprey, but it isn't in the cards right now.

Also, I don't intend to get anything from haretoday or any where else on line. I clicked on the site because I saw it on THIS site and noted that they had different ground textures available, which prompted my question.

Anyhow, thanks for the response. I be sure to avoid grinding anything too coarsely.
I already have access to a grinder so it's not difficult for me to do myself.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

There is a lot of good sites out there to help people wondering about raw. Franken prey whole prey or ground... Google search "frankenprey/whole prey feeding guide" and you will come up with some nice links! Whenever my frozen mice and one week old quail get here... (if they ever do) I will be experimenting with whole prey also. As hoofmaiden said in another thread... She feeds her cats mostly frozen mice. Now how easy is that to just throw your cat a mouse? I think it sounds easy.. Obviously not for the sqeemish people but I used to feed my snake mice so it doesnt really bother me. Though seeing it actually chewed might The more I read the more whole prey and franken prey sound a lot easier than getting your own grinder and grinding EVERYTHING... But if you want to do grind they do make a lot of premade mixes to help you put things together... One is called TC Feline. Lots of things to look at when it comes to raw!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

^^Thanks.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

If your wanting to know a little bit more about the ground premade mixes... Heres a link to TC Feline: Cat Food Premix ? TCfeline raw cat food

Theres a couple kinds. You just add ground meat and or liver. Some mixes have the liver in the mix in case you cant find real liver in your area. Its originally from Canada. But you can order it here in the US from: Results products
There is other ones out there but I think most people here would recommend TC Feline.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement