My cats first whole prey feeding! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default My cats first whole prey feeding!

I got my shipment in today from Layne Labs. 10 large frozen mice and 10 one week old quails! I thawed a couple mice out. The first time I tried it wasnt the best success Skeeter latched on and didnt wanna let go when I came near but all he wanted to do was toss the dead mouse in the air like a lunatic trying to play with it. Godzilla was defiantly not amused with the idea... I got the "you want me to eat that??!!" expression. It surprises me because he grew up a barn kitten and I thought he was gonna be the one to take to it really well but I was defiantly wrong. I took the mice away because Skeeter insisted on tossing it all around in my living room. Tried it again later except this time I smeared some canned cat food on it and waaalllaa! He got the idea. Had it down in no time.

I tried the whole canned food smear with Godzilla and he licked it for a few seconds and then he was like "uh no you almost had me there give me the canned food you crazy lady".... I even tried to cut it in half. He wasnt having it. I tried for 15 minutes probably. I dont understand because he loves raw chicken or raw meat of any kind that I prepare for myself to eat but he wouldnt touch the mouse. Im gonna try again tomorrow but Im debating on whether I should try the mouse again or the quail? Maybe hes a bird eater? Hes come to think hes such a royal heinous these days I just cant believe he wouldnt touch the mouse... pain in my butt is what he is Anyone have any suggestions?

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter

Last edited by marie73; 01-17-2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: removed video
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

cats are natural hunters so he might want a live one. Don't know if buying live is good or not. But Abigail found one in my apt. She played with it then ate it lol.
soonersseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Well I thought about that but honestly I dont even know if he would kill a live one with the reaction he gave me to the dead one.... Hes never been picky with anything. I dont understand it. I think Im gonna try the quail tomorrow and see what happens... Skeeter will probably end up just eating both again though....

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Aha I have no idea about Godzilla, but boy does it look like Skeeter's enjoying the mouse! Such a pretty cat!
Jakiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Thank you!! He's SUCH A PIGLET!! It's only been an hour or so since he ate both of those large mice and he's already running around crying like he's starving again.... he's ridiculous haha he's 5 months and weighs 7 pounds.... I have a feeling he's gonna be a big one haha he is my little trooper though because that was his first whole raw meal and whole prey meal period. He's gotten pieces of raw chicken here and there but no whole meal of it. I think he will eat anything. I'm gonna be taking another video for the quail tomorrow too!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

yea! Sasha ate her mouse too!
kjeter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

It was a success with the quail tonight!!! Still not getting anywhere with Godzilla but skeeter is fully on board....

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

YEA!
Sasha eventually ate her quail too. I don't have to cut either of them in half anymore woohoo! Since I wasn't sure she would eat them I only got 25 hoppers and 10 quail. I have ordered 250 large mice. Now I just need to find some local to hold us over until those get here.
I am so glad I decided to try the whole prey. She is acting like "finally mom is feeding me what I am meant to eat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
It was a success with the quail tonight!!! Still not getting anywhere with Godzilla but skeeter is fully on board....

kjeter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

I bought some crickets tonight for my cats because they enjoy playing/eating crickets they find in the house. I bought them primarily for my 5 month old, since I've seen him eat crickets before, but it turned out my 1.5 year old LOVED eating them! He stalked them when they went under the sofa, but he ate any he caught I think it's nice to have them trigger their hunt instinct, and I can't imagine there's anything wrong with crickets! Anyone else as weird as me?
MyBabiesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Cats eat crickets??!! I bet that was amusing to watch... Hehe

Sent from my Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement