Cost of feeding raw vs. dry and canned - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cost of feeding raw vs. dry and canned

I am trying to find one basic, simple FREE recipe for a raw diet and one basic, simple FREE recipe for a cooked diet.

I just want to be able to calculate how much the raw and cooked diets are compared with the dry and canned food I'm feeding now. I don't want to have to pay for a recipe just to calculate the costs of the ingredients. I have spent a lot of time looking for a cooked diet recipe and couldn't find anything useful.

Can anyone help me out? I asked my veterinarian but she's not to keen on me doing a raw or cooked diet, so she never got back to me with recipes.

I had hoped doing a raw or cooked diet would be cheaper, but maybe not.
little87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've fed raw for nearly 6 years now (Ack! I can't believe my babies are that old!) And you don't really need a recipe the way I do it.

I feed a Franken prey diet, which means you feed 80% muscle meat, 10% edible bone, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ. I feed chunks of meat, rather than ground, to my cats and they prefer that anyways.

Check out the raw feeding forum, there's tons if detailed info on how to transition, what to feed, ect.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Hi there. I feed a prey model diet too, just like libararychick. Just in case you haven't found these 2 sites both catinfo.org and catnutrition.org have ground raw recipes that are trusted and used by many people, including people that I know. Both of these sites provide the recipes for free.

I have never tried to make homemade cooked food for my cats so I can't point you in the direction of a recipe. But I believe that a lot of cooked recipes want you to add in vegetables and fruits, and those aren't really appropriate for cats. Also, with cooked you have to add in supplements for calcium whereas with raw you can just use bone. The more supplements that you have to add, the more expensive the food becomes.
beckyhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

I feed raw to my two cats, using the recipe at catinfo.org. I have only had them completely on raw for a few months but already I see the improvements. It's hard to say what cost will be like because meat is priced so differently depending on the area. Chicken (well meat in general) is fairly expensive here in ontario, but I have managed to find a good local butcher where I can get bulk. When I was feeding canned, it was nearly three times the price that I am now paying to feed them raw.

From the research I did before switching, raw is less expensive than a canned diet. Dry food is nearly always cheaper, but considering an all dry diet landed my male at the vet with a blocked urethra, I consider the risks of dry to outweigh the low cost.
jschwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I have fed frankenprey for about 3 years now. I spend about $40/month for 4 cats on raw meat alone if I feed raw 2 meals/day. I separate, bag, and butcher the meat myself. Most of the time, for convenience, I feed 1 canned meal per day, which adds on about another $1.50/day ($1.50x30=$45). I never feed my cats kibble.

So basically you are talking about $40/month for 4 cats for 2 raw fed meals vs. $90/month for 4 cats for 2 canned meals. Even with low end kibble, it's hard to beat the cost efficiency of the raw.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement