What are the Downsides of Antibiotics for Pets? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

What are the Downsides of Antibiotics for Pets?

Quote:
Are you worried about giving your pet too many antibiotics? To avoid resistance, there are alternative products to help treat common health issues.

Antibiotics are commonly prescribed to treat a variety of ailments in dogs, but pet owners should be aware that there are some downsides associated with the use of antibiotics. Thankfully, there are alternatives to antibiotics as well, so itís definitely worth taking an integrative approach when it comes to your furry friendís health.

Your Dogís Body Could Develop a Resistance to Antibiotics

Antibiotic resistance occurs in humans, but it can also occur in pets. Basically, bacteria that cause disease are able to find ways to resist the medications that are prescribed by vets.

Resistance can develop as a result of antibiotics being over-prescribed and used in instances when they arenít actually appropriate. Improper duration and dosage could also lead to antibiotic resistance, and low, frequent doses that arenít strong enough to eliminate all bacteria could result in some of the surviving bacteria developing a resistance. The bacteria can then pass that resistance on to other bacteria, rendering the medication ineffective.
Read more about What are the Downsides of Antibiotics for Pets? at PetGuide.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Premier Cat

Here's one vet's opinion
The Cost of Convenience Pet Medicines | petMD

A lot depends on which kind of antibiotic.....

https://www.petcarerx.com/article/an...s-for-cats/741

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Premier Cat

A common side effect is upset stomach (since antibiotics will kill off not only the bad bacteria, but the good ones too). Therefore, whenever my cats have to be on any oral antibiotics, I also add probiotics to their meals and extend their supplementation for another week or so. I'd hate to deal with smelly, messy litterboxes from loose stools or scooting on my carpets here otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page