Hi there - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Hi there

Hi everyone!

I'm the first time owner of a beautiful, ginger maine coon kitty. I have had dogs my whole life so owning a cat (or rather being owned by one lol) is pretty new to me.
Lusy is nothing like what I expected from the breed! She loves me and comes for cuddles every 6am and evenings but she pretty much hates everyone else. To be honest this is a bit of a problem and I'm hoping to get some advice here on her strange behaviour.
eva026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

Hey Eva

I've lived with cats my whole life, and one thing I have definitely noticed is that they do tend to bond with one person more strongly, to a greater or lesser degree, than with other people.

When I was younger we temporarily homed my older sister's tewo cats as well as having two in the house already: Bob was the eldest and was affectionate with me and my stepdad but indifferent to everyone else; Polly was Bob's illegitmate daughter and absolutely hated me; Chico was one of my sister's cats and was pretty indifferent to me but loved my mom; and Bongo, my sister's other cat, absolutely adored me and wouldn't leave my side. The feeling was absolutely mutual.

Our current cat is quite affectionate towards me, perhaps slightly more so than anyone else. But, I do work from home, so I'm here all the time to give him the attention he is so utterly desperate for. He'll usually sleep on my side of the bed at night and sit with me in the morning while I read my Twitter feed. He also turns on all of the cute when strangers vome over, but he's terrified of kids.

Cats are wierd.
indextwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Hi,
Bello is like that too.
He has been described as kind of temperamental.
But still loving me.

Welcome for us

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
antonioperetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lor
Kitten

I'm pretty sure my cat Grace is part Maine Coone as well. She's very affectionate with us but not a fan of other people either, she is comfortable around people she knows well but will hide in the furnace room when people come into our home.

Welcome, I'm new here too!
Lor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Not what I expected from a Maine coon when I read up about them before getting Lucy. "gentle giant" she is not for sure!!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
tgw
Cat

Welcome to the forum. My nephew is hoping to get a Maine Coon to add to his household.
tgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Welcome! I love the look of Maine Coons and often wondered how the name came about because it looks more like a bob cat than a coon.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

My cat Alice is pretty temperamental too, and only allows us to love on her when she just wakes up, or early in the morning. It's cute when she DOES let us love on her, but now that my husband brought in another kitten to our house, she's not been QUITE so loving to us. It makes me sad.
alt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt89 View Post
My cat Alice is pretty temperamental too, and only allows us to love on her when she just wakes up, or early in the morning. It's cute when she DOES let us love on her, but now that my husband brought in another kitten to our house, she's not been QUITE so loving to us. It makes me sad.
How is she with the new cat?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

just wanted to stop by and say hello
skyte777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement