Possible rabies infection? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Possible rabies infection?

Hi all, first post here.. I adopted a 5 month old kitten about a month ago.. Yesterday and the day before that there were 2-3 racoons sleeping underneith my back porch, they were sleeping there by this little ditch by the window in the basement, i finally thought of an idea to scare them out by throwing pennies at them and it worked... But now im kinda scared the kitty could still catch rabies even though the racoons are gone by the poop or something they left behind.. the kitty does play around that area, i have not done rabies shots yet because the vet says i have to get that shot done last which will be done in a couple weeks, i did get the first 2 shots already and also got flea repellant which is also a de-wormer..

I try to keep the cat inside so it doesnt catch the rabies that the racoons might of left behind but he keeps whining so much i have to let him out... Are we safe from rabies or not? i dont want to die or want the kitty to die...
Jblaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

THe only way to keep him safe is to keep him inside. If he has not been vaccinated and he gets in a scuffle with a raccoon, it would be bad news for your kitty. Just because you scared the racoons out once doesn't mean they wont come back. Also, I assume he has not be neutered yet, so that is just one other reason to keep him inside....
Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thankfully we don't have rabies over here so that's one worry I don't have but, although I am an indoor / outdoor cat person in general, I would definitely be keeping this youngster in at the moment.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I'm curious why did the vet say to wait on the rabies shot? My vet will do them at 4 months old (can't be younger though) and it's not a problem to do them at the same time as other vaccines. My most recent adoption (Erek) got rabies/combo/leukemia shots all in one day.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

I too think its strange that your vet has not already vaccinated your kitty for rabies. If I remember correctly, my vet said that kittens can't be vaccinated for rabies until they are 16 weeks old. Your kitten could have been vaccinated a month ago.
Lady's Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement