Nervous new owner - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Nervous new owner

I inherited 2 of my neighbours kittens 7 weeks old,who decided they would like to live with us instead. When they arrived they had terrible worms and fleas! We treated them and they seemed to get better.

Last week they had their 1st injections and for the last 2 days they have been very poorly, frequently vomiting clear liquid and loss of appetite. I have just taken them to the vet and have had to leave them there. I'm currently awaiting a call from the vet to see if they will be keeping them in. Just wondering if any fellow cat owners could advise on what might be wrong.....
shaz23130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

how long ago did you treat them for worms/fleas and what did you use? what do you feed them? they are both having the same symptoms?

sorry for all the questions, but it could be a number of things
Old 11-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

welcome!
hamoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Have you rung the vet? The most likely thing is a reaction but better safe than sorry.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Vomiting clear liquid sounds like bile is coming up. I had a cat with similar issues when I first got her. Worms so bad they were crawling out of her anus when I got her home from the shelter. Sorry I can't provide more insight than having patience. Hope they come out ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Ditto what Shan841 asked...how long ago did you worm and what did you use? Worming has to be done twice with most medicines on the market, otherwise you won't get them all. Also, the more common wormers don't get tapeworm (which is carried by fleas) so they could have those. Did you notice diarrhea along with the vomiting, or just vomiting alone? It could also be a reaction to the shots.

One of my fosters did the vomiting bit a few days ago. I put some water down her with a small syringe and watched her overnight. She didn't have any symptoms the next morning and hasn't since,but she also wasn't looking too poorly. Could be they ate something that didn't agree with them--household stuff, litter, part of a toy, etc.

One of my adult cats (Persephone) swallowed some garland at Christmas a few years ago. She threw up clear foamy liquid and we took her to the vet. They had to take it out endoscopically. For $500 we got a dvd of the procedure and the tinsel as a souvenir. I've never watched the dvd.

It could be any number of things that's wrong, but I'm not a vet and haven't seen your cats in person. Hopefully your vet will have answers for you soon. Keep calm and fingers crossed for good news.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement