New...(long intro) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default New...(long intro)

Hi, Just found this forum when looking for answers about euthanasia. I had 2 cats that I grew up with & they meant so much to me. I was so sad when they died...

Now 16 years later, we just got 2 cats 3 months ago. The male is 7 mo now & we had him neutered. He looks like a lynx Siamese / colorpoint, but obviously a domestic shorthair w/out papers. He was pretty scrawny at first, but now has filled out nicely. He is the crazy cat, always into trouble! Tries to be the center of attention. Loves everyone & we love him.

The other we got shortly after the first because she was in a bad situation & not cared for at all. Himalayan. Her fur was a matted disgusting mess caked with all kinds of foul things... Vet said (after bloodwork) that she has renal failure & can't see well. At first she was terrified & bit us all like crazy. Within a week she changed into a real sweetheart, though we now know she is dying... We are just trying to give her love, peace, quiet, and gentle affection before she goes to cat heaven. The vet said she's prob 12 yrs old. We have been giving her canned kd diet & bottled filtered water. She has good days & bad days. On good days she loves affection and food. On bad days she won't eat, doesn't want to be touched, and recently needs help to get to the litter pan. Also now this month more bad days than good. We got her a pan that is low so she can step inside but it has been harder for her this past week. Since it has gotten cold we have a heating pad and she spends all her time lying on the pad in her bed. She still wants someone close to her and will meow if she feels alone. But she is not wanting to be pet anywhere now but her face. She still is drinking from her fountain but more when I bring it close to her. We've had such a short time with her. My husband, kids, and I love her dearly and this is so difficult. We don't want her to be in pain, but don't want to euthanize her too early either...

When my childhood cats had to be put down I was away and my mom told me afterwards. Same with our beloved dogs. I feel like I can't bring myself to do that, though I know the time will come. How do I know when it is the right time? Is it REALLY more humane to euthanize or will she think I'm hurting her by having it done? She has had such a rough life being passed from home to home & neglected... and I just wanted her to have a few good years of love & care. I am so sad that she is doing so poorly after only 3 months.

Sorry for the sad intro, ... Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
1CrazyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through. I had to make that hard decision a few years ago with my cat who was only 6 yrs old. It was so hard to get through and I feel your pain.
qimenglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Losing a pet is really tough. But it makes you more prepared to handle the fact that life is short and nothing lasts forever.
consultant123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Thank you. I appreciate the kind replies. What makes it so hard right now is knowing when to euthanize ...
Leona will have several really good (& affectionate) days after a week of bad days. I recently gave up on kd science diet because she was refusing to eat. She will now eat soft cooked mashed chicken with broth or baked fish. And sometimes fancy feast. Refuses to eat anything else. So I guess when she stops having any good days would be the time .... I guess I'm selfish because I really don't want to euthanize. I don't want her last thoughts to be, "Why are you doing this to me?..."
1CrazyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement