Hi everyone! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Hi everyone!

I'm a cat lover, had cats my whole life. Currently have five.

I'm here because my cats have recently started to pee on the carpet in FRONT of the litter boxes. Of course, it smells quite badly now. My boyfriend is understandably upset about the smell.

I found a recipe online to clean it up. Involves vinegar, peroxide, baking soda, and dish detergent. I treated it this way last night but it doesn't seem to be working. I think maybe I didn't have enough baking soda to properly cover the entire area, or maybe the smell will fade after I've vacuumed up the baking soda? It hasn't dried yet. Maybe I need to treat it twice?

Any advice on this and treating cat pee on carpet altogether is welcome!
belleuosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

You need an enzymatic cleaner. Nature's Miracle will take out the smell so they don't smell it. You will need to really get the carpet wet with this. You should also pull up the carpet to see if it has gone through to the pad and if so, treat it also. Then the carpet has to dry. (You may need to move the boxes temporarily so it can dry).

Cat Urine Odor Remover: Nature's Miracle Just For Cats Stain & Odor Remover at Petco

You can get this at any pet supply store.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks! I have used Nature's Miracle before, but in a small spray bottle and not enough to thoroughly soak the area. If it still smells after I vacuum, I'll drench it in that and see what happens.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I second natures miracle. They have one in the orange bottle and it's citrus scent and it's called their oxy formula. Let me tell you; this stuff smells wonderful and it will for days and weeks after you use it! Also, you can set out this deodorizers that last for weeks at a time to help. ( out of kittys reach of course ). But the natures miracle is the best stuff I've ever used. Aside from all of this, it's most important to figure out why they are doing this? Is it the litter? Should you get different boxes? Are they large enough? Is it a medical issue; etc.......
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyfurbabies View Post
I second natures miracle. They have one in the orange bottle and it's citrus scent and it's called their oxy formula. Let me tell you; this stuff smells wonderful and it will for days and weeks after you use it! Also, you can set out this deodorizers that last for weeks at a time to help. ( out of kittys reach of course ). But the natures miracle is the best stuff I've ever used. Aside from all of this, it's most important to figure out why they are doing this? Is it the litter? Should you get different boxes? Are they large enough? Is it a medical issue; etc.......
Not sure why they are doing it! I have five cats and five boxes. They use one box mostly for pee and another mostly for poop, while the others are barely used at all. Not sure why they do that either! I completely change all the litter once a week. I can't help but feel that one of them just figures they're close enough and squats in front of the boxes instead of inside.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
You need an enzymatic cleaner. Nature's Miracle will take out the smell so they don't smell it. You will need to really get the carpet wet with this. You should also pull up the carpet to see if it has gone through to the pad and if so, treat it also. Then the carpet has to dry. (You may need to move the boxes temporarily so it can dry).

Cat Urine Odor Remover: Nature's Miracle Just For Cats Stain & Odor Remover at Petco

You can get this at any pet supply store.
Ok thanks! I have used Nature's Miracle before but usually just as a spray and not enough to cover a larger area. I'll try that if the smell persists after vacuuming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement