Three unique cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Exclamation Three unique cats

Hello,

This is my introduction post. We have three desexed indoor cats. One 10 year old ginger Tom, who is the most established cat.

We recently (yesterday) purchased two female cats from a shelter. One is a 1.5 year old Himalayan and the other a 3 year old Angora cross. We do not plan on adopting any more cats.

The Angora cross, Dorothy, is a bit of a unique case. She came to the shelter pregnant and, once her kittens were weaned, nursed two additional litters. She was only desexed on November 15 (both new cats have already had all immunisations and a clean bill of health). Dorothy's milk has not yet dried up and she is still swollen. I expect the swelling to go down over the next week.

However, Dorothy is exhibiting some strange litterbox behaviour which has kept us up all night of her first night in our home! It was unfortunately, a dark and stormy night with lots of thunder. However, she has exhibited this behaviour during the day in calm weather.

Basically, she is excessively scratching around the edge of the litterbox. She's having trouble figuring out how to cover her poop/urine. My partner used the scoop to cover a wee for her after seeing her struggle and she seemed satisfied.

However, with out this help she seems to take up to 20 minutes of intense scratching, usually at the box and not at the deep litter (so she doesn't achieve her goal of covering up the mess). Any clue why this might be?

Thank you in advance for your help
ecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have neglected this for far too long! But have managed to find a photo for you all. This is our orange boy. He has recently lost some weight via transitioning to wet food:
Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Hmm not sure if that actually worked...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Wow, such a vibrant orange! He's a very handsome cat. Is his tail as long as it looks in the photo?
dt8thd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Three unique cats

He's gorgeous! My girl scratches the walls of her litterbox for a long time too. She also scratches the wall by her food bowl and will drag things over to cover the bowl. I have no idea how to stop them doing this. I've just learned to ignore it lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

He is very handsome. Looks alot like my Zipper. Don't worry about the scratching, I'm sure it's nothing to concern yourself with. Zipper will rarely cover her poop (I call it forgetting to flush) and I will have to go in there and cover it for her before the whole house is stunk up! TMI, I know. Sorry.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Lovely - he looks quite a lot like Princess Tramp as well!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement