Introduction: Father of 2 cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Introduction: Father of 2 cats

Hello, all.
My name is Gaius, and I have two cats with my girlfriend of 10 years, Angie.

The first is a fiesty tabby who is 7 years old. Her name is Hikaru, and my girlfriend and I have had her since she was 5 weeks old. We got her from a Humane Society. She has spots and stripes, tufts on her ears, and short but super thick fur. Some suspect she may have some wildcat in her. She loves to know everything that is going on, often standing up to take a look, and HAS to have her way.

The second we found in October 2011. We found him crying outside emaciated around Halloween the day before a big frost/snow. So we brought him in, updated his shots, neutered him, and tried to find him a home. He was "between 1-3 years old" according to the vets, we think it was closer to 1 as he has grown a lot, not just in weight but in size. Hikaru hated him at first, but they now get along well. His name is Lost because when we found him we called him Lost Kitten. He is very submissive and sweet, and gets scared easily, so we treat him very gently. He loves Hikaru and loves to play with her and share toys.

I'm hoping to get some advice after my first three posts with some issues that are worrying me, but I look forward to meeting everyone.

Thank you,
Gaius
Gaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Welcome to the forum! I love the names of your cats and they sound like teriffic pets. You have come to the right place for advice! Ask away and hopefully some of us will be able to lead you down the right path! How did Lost take to Hikaru and vice-a-versa when you brought him in??
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Your kitties sound lovely!

"How did Lost take to Hikaru and vice-a-versa when you brought him in??"

I would like to know this too. How long did it take for them to get along? How did you introduce them?
CorriniP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Our introduction process was long. My girlfriend and I are both in school, so we had only a few days to acclimate them to each other. It didn't go well. Hikaru would attack Lost, hissing and growling, at every chance. So we kept them in separate rooms for over a month. We did our homework and things with Lost and then slept with Hikaru. We finally started letting him out and just keeping him with us. After a few months, we could finally leave them home together.

It took about 6 months for Hikaru to play with Lost, and about 9 before she would let him cuddle close to her. She is still very independent, but they play every day and have a lot of fun (until she's done). Lost has always adored Hikaru, and he's very submissive and understanding with her. He was never deterred by her, although he was scared of her at first. We've moved into a tiny apartment and don't have a lot of extra room.

The problem
So, once they got acclimated to each other, they shared a litter box for about 6 months without any problem. We had them sharing one of the large Budda Domes. We had to buy a different type of litter for a short time, and she peed on the stairs of the box. This is a litter in the past she has used and been fine. But I thought, maybe she's gotten pickier. So we switched litter back, but she still peed on the stairs. She would go in to poop, though.

We ended up getting disposable boxes and putting them in our tiny bathroom. Hikaru claimed them as her own, and never had any issue with them. Having the litter box was just a temporary solution until I could get the Budda Dome super clean AND get a new litter box for her. We recently got the new litter box, but we had to put it next to the Budda Dome.

NOW, Hikaru will use the new box. And she'll go a day (sometimes 2) without any problem, then suddenly, she'll pee on the stairs of the Budda Dome. It's very frustrating, and she knows she isn't supposed to (when we come home, she'll act submissive - which is extremely rare for her), and seems to feel bad when she does it.

I don't know what else to do. It's getting expensive to clean the stairs every day, and it worries me for if we ever have to go on a long trip.

Hopefully someone can help us.

Thanks,
Gaius
Gaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Welcome the forum and your kitties sound adorable (and I love the unique names!). I don't have much advice on the litter issues, but best of luck!
spidermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement