Cat Forum banner

Fonias

614 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Fonias 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Fonias ( killer) lives in Greece, southern part .
he is 13 months old and spayed. He is told he is a blue Russian and he behaves like a tzar.
He stays indoors and he is jealous of the free/feral cats we feed outside of our door ( in return they hate him).
He bosses me, DH and DD

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, he looks Russian Blue to me....has that silvery sheen to his soft plush coat as each hair is white tipped, and of course the beautiful green eyes! IME, Russians can be very opinionated cats and fussy about who and what they like. Tsar is a good description. Gorgeous cat!

#4 ·
to be honest I m not 100% sure of his pure descend. The story goes like that. We live in an almost ancient house for the last 6 yers (long and rather ugly story of the Greek Crisis). I m battling with rodents all the time and lately it was r horrific event where I fond an enormous rodent in the washing machine ( dreadful story, but thanks god the washing machine has a disinfectant steam mode, yet , I was mortified). The two dogs we have r so big and they stay at the yard. ( a German-belgian and a stray from a shelter). Our ferals have been going to find mates and although they come begging for food and petting I m not sure they be the clean solution to have into the house. They occasionally in the summer they pay a visit but how t train them not to jamb into the kitchen tables and not or invite over their friends? So, we decided for an indoor cat.we were window shopping for a indoor trained cat, not a baby but a young adult. ( the age and training factor has to do with mine and my DD's schedules and free time. Only my unemployed hubby has free time and is an-animal and kid spoiler).
Now shelters in greece dont offer for free their pets. you pay for the chip and for the spayed procedure - that is about 120 euros.
And there was that lady who was offering this cat as it belonged to a family she worked with and were friends,but as they worked in a foreign embassy they had to leave in a very short time. very friendly lady, well mannered very sympathetic of the cat that has to leave its family, she did a screening in us and the story looked solid. They lived in the most high-end suburbs of athens.she asked for 150 euros and we kind of liked fonias from the start.
So 2months ago we got her. BUT the lady told us the cat was a girl not neutered as the original family wanted her to have offspring.
We had a hard time ( hubby yeald with joy, he doesn't like to spay the animals) and on the other hand I freaked out - not a spayed animal is a huge situation in the house in my opinion and responsibility to mate it. Any way the vet informed us for the following
- it looked blue russian and not just pet russian but looked like a display one . But we needed an expensive test to be accurate - we dont mind for that
- it is a he and not a she and spayed ( yeepee)
- he wears no microchip
-he had received only the fist dose of vaccinations and took only a pill for worms and such with medicines not used in Greece ( from the chippings of the medicines in the cat's book that info but no vet had signed the book )

Second vet verified the above.
PS when we got the cat the eyes were half yellow half green and now they turned 80% green,I still see spots of yellow but I read someplace their eye turn green at that age more or less
We stay with the blue russian ( to me looks a bit like charteux but the green eyes). he is aloof and picky ,not wanting mush petting and has chosen my DD's room to hang out and of course her as his favor pet.
Only two-three things worry me
-he plays like biting, not hurting us not pressing teeth, but still that is his affection game. And my kid let him do hi own, thus he cannt learn other ways to play
-No way he would let us clip his nails,no sir! And he doesnt use the special tree we bought him to trim them ( of course combing his hair requires 2 ppl so far, but at least although he desnt like it , he endures it)
-The other day ( just once thank God) he peed in his water. It was the day after we choose a diff sand and all the same the day we lined his litter box and also the day we put him on measured quantity food diet versus the free serving he had so far.I m hoping it was all the changes together that caused it.We removed the lining from the litter box although its such a convenience, really and I cautioned DD to clean the box once a day and not every other day. I m just hoping we will not have to deal with it again.

Bottom line he has 3 ppl moving around his moods!

#6 · (Edited)
I think he is likely a purebred Russian Blue, because of who his original owners were. Although his type is not as extreme as you might see at an American or Canadian cat show these days, the shape of his head is typical, and the body is not as slim as the current ones in shows but his plush coat is distinctive from the Korat. Here are the descriptions of the RB in two cat associations.

Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA):
Breed Profile: The Russian Blue

The International Cat Association (TICA)
Russian Blue Introduction

I think "His Royal Highness Fonias" would be happier with two litter boxes, some cats prefer to pee in one and poop in another, and they should be located in a quiet corner in different rooms where there isn't a lot of foot traffic. If you live in a house that has an upper floor, a litter box on each floor would be ideal. Scoop out waste from the litter boxes every day.

You have a very beautiful and unique cat and I'm sure he will become devoted to you in time. Just have patience with him, love him and play with him. All the best!

#7 ·
well, he used to be thinner, before my family took over,, and his legs looked taller...same way I llok taller when I get thinner ( lol)

I m not bothered if it is just a domestic gray, but it puzzles me it looks so much as the descriptions of a pure breed,yet the mixed up info we originally had upsets my hubby who jumps into the conclusion that it is a ferral/stray cat. He even suggested some weird scenarios that even in a movie they would look odd!!!
I guess the lady who was the middle person in the procedure ( as the family had moved already away) may have mixed thinks up a bit as the original family owned 3 cats: Fonias and 2 persians.. .

The 2 litter boxes seem to be a good suggestion although it would double the cleaning time but its worth to try it. I d rather do that than buy him an electric fancy water fountain only to have him pee all over ...
Thank you for your help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.