Cat Forum banner

Introducing myself...animal/wildlife advocate

292 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  catloverami 
#1 ·
I am brand new to this forum. I am an avid animal/wildlife advocate.. not just for our Furry Family members but for ALL unfortunate animals that do not have the luxury of the care and love of a family. I am also a vegetarian who wants to become a vegan.

We live in Toms River, NJ and at one time had 3 Furry Felines, one was our own and then we inherited (luckily) from our Son and his wife, who had allergies to felines. Our Mikey left us in 2010, our Nermie in 2012 and now we have our Lone Survivor, Abby who gets ALL the love that was once shared by three of our furry children.

Our Abby is not active and does not play and therefore sleeps almost all day, no matter what we try to play with her... she loses all interest in things and the only thing that moves at times... is her head... LOL

I am looking for suggestions on THREE issues...
1- A cat food that really helps lose weight.
2- Some toy/etc that will really work to get Abby excited and moving.
3- Something to keep her off certain furniture (chairs, etc). We currently put Aluminum foil on chairs.. and that works.. but who wants aluminum foil on their furniture.

I thank anyone who can help.

Take care.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! and I'll try and give you some suggestions.

1. If Abby's eating dry kibble, switch her to a good quality canned food. Here's an informative website on cat nutrition.
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

2. A fishing pole type of toy ("Da Bird" is one) gets a lot of cats excited, it has feathers on the end. Flick the toy around in a birdlike way, have it crawl on the ground like it's "wounded", and see if you can get her to go after it. Make it go under furniture or cushions to perk her interest. Every so often let her catch it. Play with her twice a day for about 20 min. or until she's tired/not interested. You can also pull a cord (like for a venetian blind) on the ground in a snake-like manner. She may be interested in that. Get her some little stuffed mousies with catnip. My cats like those little plastic spirals (from pet store) to bat around and then retrieve to me to be thrown again.
It's possible Abby is depressed from losing her cats friends. Some animals grieve the loss by sleeping a lot.

3. My cats don't drop a lot of hair, but I put sheets on my furniture to keep it clean and hair-free, and when visitors come, remove them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.