Cat Forum banner

How to tell if a cat is pregnant?

28K views 53 replies 11 participants last post by  catloverami 
#1 ·
I have taken in a foster cat and her 3-4 week old kittens. The kittens are now roughly 8-9 weeks, but smaller than they should be (no one is 2 pounds yet), so I have not taken them off her yet. I am worried because she seems to be gaining weight around her middle but nowhere else. I have wormed her, so it shouldn't be from that.

I am trying to figure out how to tell if she is pregnant. She would have to be at least 5 weeks along, as that's how long I've had her (and there is no way she could have been impregnated here). Most of the signs I find refer to nipples pinking up and swelling, but since she's already nursing, those are useless for me. What other signs are there, or what other things could I watch for?

I can take her to a vet if need be, but I am trying to keep costs to a minimum. If she is not pregnant I plan to get her spayed right away, along with the kittens. If she is pregnant, she is too far along for me to feel comfortable spaying.

Picture taken 5 days ago:

See less See more
#52 ·
I am pleased with it. A little sad that there won't be the babies I was expecting, but only because I was expecting them. This is really the best possible outcome for Tootsie and for Christmas she'll get the gift of having the rest of her life to herself---no more babies. :)

#53 ·
I just re-read this thread and wanted to share another update on Tootsie. Based on the progression of photos (wow she was big for a while there) I'd say she probably was pregnant and lost them/aborted. I don't think it was a false pregnancy.

I swung by my vet tonight and grabbed her some stronger wormer. She's still pretty big, but since she's not pregnant the next most likely option is worms. I hid the pills in pill pockets and she happily scarfed them down. I'll post another photo of her in a few days.

Four of her six kittens have been adopted and I'm going to get her in to be spayed before xmas. I just have to make the appointment in between all the other craziness I've got going on.

Tootsie is on her way to her happy ending. :)

#54 ·
If she has/had worms, her kittens will too as they can get them through nursing. So better get the kittens wormed too if you haven't already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.