Cat Forum banner

Do Your Cats Have Their Own Room

18K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  mstx 
#1 ·
I wanted to know who up here has a room just for their cats? I use one of my spare bedrooms as the 'cat room',but of course they can enjoy the whole house. Their room is quite big and has two of the their litterboxes, cat trees, food/water,and several small cat beds in it. This room is also where they go when they are unsure about something (usually a new foster dog) or they just want to relax away from the busy household.

#3 ·
ET has the 2nd biggest bedroom in the house, the biggest being our master bedroom. Hubby joked, if we rent out his room, we would get back at least more than $500/pm. So, our cost of maintaining a cat should include this rental cost, lol (just kidding).

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
We have 4 cats the 4th one we just got has been mostly separated from the other cats and has her own stuff, and currently is in her own room we have been trying to slowly let the other cats get used to her but its been a hard as they have been hard on her, we just got some feliway to hopefully help with some of the mood swings in the house in hopes of maybe we can get them to all get along. The other big one is keeping the others out of her stuff when they have their own.

#9 ·
Yes. We have a three bedroom house, one is our bedroom one is a computer room and the smallest is the cat room. It's pretty empty and they don't use it much. There's a litter box, small cat condo, a chair they like , their cat tent, tunnel and a ton of toys. They mostly play there at night when they are in bed with us but wake up in the night. They prefer to play in the basement because its bigger but the cat room is good for when I need to lock them away for whatever reason

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#18 ·
Yes. We have a three bedroom house, one is our bedroom one is a computer room and the smallest is the cat room. It's pretty empty and they don't use it much. There's a litter box, small cat condo, a chair they like , their cat tent, tunnel and a ton of toys. They mostly play there at night when they are in bed with us but wake up in the night. They prefer to play in the basement because its bigger but the cat room is good for when I need to lock them away for whatever reason
Sounds like how my place will be when it's finished: BR, office, cat room.

#10 ·
We have a townhouse that has a common living room/dining room area, and Murphy's area is the dining room area. It has his tree, toys, brush, scratching posts, everything a kitty might need except for a litterbox. I think he definitely knows it's his area . . . he leads me there all the time so we can play with something.

#13 ·
Nope. I have two kids so all the bedrooms are taken. I have the cat tree in the living room, which I like because I enjoy watching them on it. I have an unused dining room that houses some pet stuff, two litterboxes and a dog crate, but they don't spend much time in there.

#16 ·
Rocky and Lily have full reign of the house, except for the basement (it is not finished so they are definitely not going down there!) and my brothers room since he is mildly autistic and thinks that leaving toothpicks and change around will not harm the cats (they get into everything and I am guessing toothpick+cats stomach = not good at all)

#20 ·
Yes, my cat has her own room. It was originally a spare/junk room but when I caught Josie and brought her inside, I figured it would be a nice place for her. She has her food, cat tree, toys, litter boxes, big window with a seat to look out, etc. in the room, which is blocked off from the dogs with a gate with a little cat door. She has free run of the house, but loves going to her room to get away from everyone else.

#23 ·
Yes. I've always had 2 cats at a time and they've always had their cat room. It's a small bedroom with a cat tree, litterbox, food and water, toys and grooming supplies.

Of course they usually had the run of the house, but if there were contractors over, who might leave outside doors or windows open, or if there were dangerous chemicals or paint out, or guests with dogs, or whatever, it was a comfortable and safe refuge.

#24 ·
My two little ones have my son's old room. There is a twin bed and a chair. They spent their for two weeks with us in that room and we opened up the rest of the house slowly so they could get used to it. They are still too little and inquisitive to be roaming the house at night while we sleep so they are in their bedroom every night. As they get older I'm sure they will roam anywhere anytime, but they will always have a safe room with their beds, scratching post, litter box and toys. They often go into their room on their own to sleep so they are very comfortable in there.

#26 ·
We only have 3 BRs. One is ours, one is hubby's study (he works from home sometimes) and one is supposed to be a guest BR. For 15 years I had it set up with a bed, dresser, etc., but it was hardly ever used - I considered it a waste of space. Several years ago I gave the bed to my adult son when he moved to Oregon and bought a high quality blow up queen bed which pretty much stays in the attic. The BR now is set up with 2 litter boxes, and a water bowl 24/7 and old outdoor chair cushions that act as comfy mats. We put them in there when we have dinner guests or parties. Not everyone likes 5 cats wandering around so we just put them in their room before the guests arrive (except our best friends - fellow cat lovers). The cats are none too happy about being up there, but they accept it just fine and just snooze until we let them out. The room is easily cleaned up and used as a nice guest bedroom again if needed - thankfully not too often because when that happens the litter boxes have to go in to the study or our BR. Not a fun option.
Other than that, our cats have the run of the house with access 24/7 to a screened in porch which they love all year round.

#30 ·
I have a 3bedroom house so we have Humans room (master), Office/guest, and the cats playroom/moms storage.
In the cats playroom is cat boxes, food bowls, boxes (Izzy loves boxes), toys, and moms storage shelves(which cats use the bottom shelf lol) I use it to put them in when we have guests over that are louder and usually the cats get scared of being around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.