Cat Forum banner

Molly is not doing well (sorry, it's long)

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Leazie 
#1 ·
I am posting this not so much for advice (although any input is more than welcomed and appreciated), but because I know that you all will understand how difficult this situation is.

Molly has been battling severe asthma for about 2 years now. In the last month, or so, she has gone down hill and is really struggling. Based upon her last chest x-ray and exam we feel that she also has heart failure which is causing fluid to build up in her lungs.

As I type she is laying on the floor exhausted because she just had her wet food. She takes a few bites and then has to lay down to catch her breath.

This is the question that everyone asks- how do I know when it is time for me to let her rest? I have watched people struggle with end stage lung disease and I don't want her to go through that.

#3 ·
I am so sorry you and Molly for what you both are going through...

So far i've been is situation like yours once with my dog and at some point I knew it's time to let her go.. unfortunately for her I was a teenager that time so my parents were involved and they listened to irresponsible vet and didn't put her to sleep when time had come. She suffered badly... and was put to sleep few days later anyway... :( it still breaks my heart..

I know it's easy, but do not let her suffer.. I am sure you will know when time comes...

(((hugs)))

#4 ·
... any input is more than welcomed and appreciated...

...how do I know when it is time for me to let her rest?...
One of, if not the most difficult question for all of us at one time or other.

Because you opened the door for input, I'll offer what I would do.

If one of mine were dealing with asthma, I would, first off, be part of a group of people dedicated to this one issue. There are two such groups that I know of: felineasthma : Feline Asthma & Respiratory Diseases and Feline_Asthma_Bronchitis : Feline_Asthma_Bronchitis During the past 14 years, more than four thousand people have participated there - that collective experience and knowledge cannot be surpassed.

Some years ago now (there are still days when that feels like yesterday, others when it feels like a lifetime ago) I lost a little one with FeLV - without advice, support, experience and in the hands of an incompetent Vet. Later, too late, I discovered the wealth of all those things that had been available in the specialized online FeLV groups - - if only I had known....

Today, were I in the same position, that's a question I would be putting to one of these groups for input. We all have our personal and situational limitations and out kitties are part of these, and any input must be weighed in consideration of them - BUT, at least I would have had and explored and considered that expert advice.

I'll be thinking of you both:heart

#8 ·
Leazie, I'm so sorry you and Molly are going through this. My Charlie also has asthma so I know how hard it is to watch them when they are having an attack and to feel so helpless.
I hope the links from Stryker give you some ideas.
Whenever I have had to make that decision for one of my cats I always ask myself if I would want to live with their issues if it were me. It's so hard not to second guess yourself in those situations.
Hugs to you and gentle caresses to Molly.

#9 ·
Have food allergies been eliminated as a possible cause? A lady we knew had a cat that was cured of asthma after a holistic vet eliminated certain foods from her diet.

It might be worth calling a holistic vet and seeing if they will do a phone consultation for you. Just a thought...

I hope your girl feels better!

#10 ·
Poor Molly, and poor you. :(

Your description sounds so sad, I don't think I could bear to watch her like that much longer. What you wrote about Cinderella always stays with me, and I think it's true for all of our kitties.

There was never a doubt about the depth of your love for one another. She had much to teach you, and once you had learned it was her time to move on.
You'll know when it's her time to move on.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

#11 ·
I don't have input but to say .. as if you tell someone in life..

If you have done all you can and they are doing all they can, then you know you there's not much left to do. The next question to ask what can you (or they) deal with and will what's left. In this case there's NO easy answer, only you know what Molly sees and does and if making that choice means putting her in a better place you have to lay your thoughts aside and give her what's best. No one (including her) will think any less of you.

I know im going to be facing that with my 15yr old ball of fur at some point one day and at this point now I hope to look back at this post and think of what I wrote and know when the time comes I will have made what's best. Good luck to you.

#12 ·

I know im going to be facing that with my 15yr old ball of fur at some point one day and at this point now I hope to look back at this post and think of what I wrote and know when the time comes I will have made what's best. Good luck to you.
Look back and know that your words provided much comfort. Marie posted words that came from my heart when she lost her Cinderella and they seem to have helped. We all understand here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.