Cat Forum banner

Do all boys stink?

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  MrPurryMotors 
#1 ·
I LOVE my boy cats Frodo (2 years) and Xander (5 months). But they stink like musty old possum! Not bad unless you snuffle up right against their fur. I'm thinking this is a natural male musk of some kind? It's most noticeable around their heads. Anyone else know?

We gave Frodo and his sister baths as kittens b/c they reeked, but haven't bathed any of them since. Xander has never had a bath. Our 2 females aren't stinky like this. Frodo is neutered, but Xander won't be neutered for another months or so.

I'm not a fan of cat baths, so we probably won't bother unless it really gets out of hand, but I wonder how common this is.

#2 ·
My kitty doesn't smell, actually he smells nice!!!! He is a 5 month old male.....his box smells really bad though for some reason...I feed him Nutro Natural until I'm done the bag then I'm feeding him Natural Balance. Could the food be the problem? Cause it STINKS!!!!

#7 ·
It could be the food. We had a dog that has the worst smell imagible. We switched her food out on her and she smells like a normal dog now. But anyways, sometimes our male cat will stink, we just give him a quick rinse down where it stinks, but we dont use any fansy shampoo just regular dish washing liquid. It takes the smell right out.

#8 ·
I would agree that it may have something to do with the food. I have heard that better quality food will give a cat a healthier coat and it could have something to do with their breath as well, that would transfer to the coat.

My kitty (male) has never smelled. I feed him a combination of Iams, Royal Canin and Science Diet.

#13 ·
Update--I've been switching their food and they are stinking less, thank goodness! I had a bag of Canidae that I got on vacation, they did wonderfully on it, no more diarrhea, no more puking--but then I couldn't find it around here so I bought Nutro Natural Choice Weight Control instead (b/c they're all roly-poly). They are doing well on it so far but it's only been a couple days. We'll see! It's got to be better than those corn chips that pass for Purina cat food!! :lol:

#15 ·
My male kitten also is a little stinky. His coat has a musky scent to it and he had bad breath. It's also very noticeable when he rubs his mouth against you and you can actually smell him. I'm thinking his bad breath is making his coat smell when he cleans himself. I'm planning on taking him to the vet to see if he has something wrong in his mouth.

#16 ·
My kitty has a defense mechanism when he doesn't want to be picked up: he farts, and it is the most foul smelling odour I have ever smelled!! LOL

I would try giving your kitties a bath, or purchasing cleansing cloths (in case they don't like baths). Cleansing cloths are nice because you just rub your cat with them and it makes them clean and smelling fresh. (no water required!)

#18 ·
Stinky-Kitty is (typically) a rare situation because of something specific - a stinky meal and a quick bath. LOL. Whenever my guy got stinky, I'd take a damp paper towel and rub him all up. He'd never get into water or even let me drop water on him or anything. This worked fine though. Just making him wet w/a paper towel keeps him calm, and makes him bathe with clean water too. Try it. 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.