Cat Forum banner

Have to pick between IAMs and HSD...

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  roseeden 
#1 ·
So how does Hills Science Diet stack up, particularly kitten food?; I really can't go to any great lengths at the moment to get some of the other brands I'v seen recommended here and the closest pet store really only has IAMs. Between those two, the more healthy?

EDIT-Just read above posts about HSD.YUCK!

#2 ·
I personally enjoy Nutro's MaxCat Gourmet Classics kitten food in Roasted Chicken. They sell it at Petco so it is really easy to get. Right now, due to my financial situation, it is probably the only premium cat food that I can afford.

This food is so awesome I am thinking about feeding my cats with it forever and ever, even after they grow up !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, I went to the local animal shelter today to get county license tags for my kitties. I saw the $5 coupon for Nutro foods in there!!! I was pretty delighted. I think they might have some coupons at your local animal shelter, too....since they are very big into animal welfare.

If you go to www.nutroproducts.com and register in the Frequent Buyers Program they send you $20 worth of cat food coupons. That would be a very good thing to do.

#4 ·
Sol said:
If I had to choose, I'd choose IAMS.
I think I probably would, as well, if pushed into that kind of choice (political issues notwithstanding). I haven't tasted Iams in years, but from what I recall, their hairball control tasted a sight better than HSD's did. From a personal moral tolerability standpoint, I'd use HSD (I'm not a fan of Proctor & Gamble), but from a taste standpoint, Iams would probably win out, based on my taste testing some years ago. Assumpta certainly prefered it, and gained considerable weight on Iams by eating herself silly. :roll:

But I'd probably also pick Shengmei's Nutro, or even Chicken Soup Kitten food (which is quite inexpensive, and carried at a lot of agricultural supply and farm feed stores...my local feed store - 10 minutes away - carries it) before either Iams or HSD, if I actually had my druthers about it (my neighbour recently coined the phrase "SciFi Diet," while we were discussing dog food, which I had a good laugh at).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.