Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums - View Single Post - can a cat lose weight on a 50/50 diet?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Nell
Cat Addict

can a cat lose weight on a 50/50 diet?

okay, here's my predicament:

Sadie is overweight. She weighs about 14lbs right now and her ideal weight should be around 10lbs.

When I first got her, she had a tendency to overeat. She always seemed to be eating, and when the other cats went to eat, she would push them away so she could eat even more.

All of the cats, except Trixie, eat the same dry food (Chicken Soup). They get a rationed amount each day. One scoop in the morning and one in the evening. I know this is not an ideal feeding situation, and its a safe bet that Sadie is probably getting more than her share.
Thankfully, for the most part, she has stopped overeating. I don't see her at the bowl very often anymore and she usually leaves Aki and Hiro alone when they want to eat.
She seems to have plateaued at 14lbs. SHe hasn't gained any more but she hasn't lost any either.

I have tried feeding each cat seperately ond only at mealtimes, and that plan failed miserably. Sadie refuses to eat when she's confined to another room. Aki, who is still semi-feral, cannot be confined or he will panic, and Hiro refused to eat anything more than a few bites before walking away, even after a week of trying.

Now I am wondering if I could get Sadie to lose some weight on a diet of 50% canned and 50% dry. I know an all-canned diet has helped many cats lose weight, and I would love to try that with Sadie, but there is no way I can afford that right now. The best I would be able to do is 50/50.

If I give her some canned both in the morning and evening, and let her nibble on the dry, do you think it would help her lose weight? or do you think she would still eat the same amount of dry in addition to the canned?
She has a much stronger preference for canned food than dry, and I am hoping that if she can expect canned food, she will hold off on eating as much of the dry, or that the canned food will make her feel fuller and she won't be as hungry.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading this far.
Does anyone have any advice, ideas?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome