Cat Forum banner

ugh! The landlord called and said she found stray cat owner

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  manitu22 
#1 ·
I am soooo upset. She just called and I was just starting to get ready to go to the vet with the cat. It turns out the owner was away on vacation and someone was house/cat sitting for her and assumed the cat was an outdoor cat and would just let it in once a day to feed it. The owner comes back tonite and is going to call me. I know I need to give the kitty back but I am pretty unimpressed. I have already fallen in love with this kitty and was ready to bring it to a vet. :cry: :cry: As it was I took the day off from work to bring kitty to the vet. I dunno..i'm just so upset and frustrated....any thing I should say to this person?

#8 ·
Oh I am so sorry. I would give the cat owner a bit of my mind and the cat sitter. Sorry again you sounded like you really wantted the kitty as well.

However the up side is that you can now get the other little kitten that you were on about in your last posts.

Sorry to hear that again. *Hugs* :!:

#10 ·
yeah..although I really do love this kitty. I am pretty upset by this. I wonder if the onwer told the sitter not to let it out. I had never seen this cat until recently so it must have been an indoor cat strictly. The cat does seem a bit on the skinny side and it has scabs and red patches under its chin. It looks a bit mangy. I don't think it's cared for that well in either case. The cat actually looks a lot like willis did when I first got him. My boyfriend notices this as well. It also looks like it has a black scab on the right side of its anus. I just feel bad for the cat. i know i could give it a better home. It doesn't seem to miss its old home. It adapted super fast here. It doesn't sit in the window or cry or anything. It hops into my lap and purrs.....Not to mention I talked to the pet sitter at noon today and its now 7 and neither the pet sitter or the owners (who are arriving sometime this evening from vacation) have contacted me yet. I dont' want to just put the cat back outside. Maybe I should. I don't know.

#11 ·
Don't put the cat outside. Wait for the owners to contact you. Do you know for sure that the owners know what's been going on? Or have people just told you they get back today.
It could very easily be that the owners were gone on a long vacation and the pet-sitter just assumed all cats go outside. Depending on how long the owners have been gone, the current condition of the cat could be 100% due to being outside. Especially if it is an indoor only cat.

Jennifer

#12 ·
The pet sitter called today and told me that she contacted the owner and that they would call me when they arrive. I didn't get more details at the time because the landlord had called me first to let me know she had found the owner and after I hung up I started crying so I didnt' get all the info I should have when talking to the sitter. I had posted up flyers saying to contact the landlord since I didn't want the whole complex to know my phone number. not to be rude but a lot of the people around here are a bit the sketchy side and I dont' trust all of them.

#13 ·
I would certainly keep the cat with you until the owner gets back. Then, at least you can talk to them directly and have a better idea of what the situation is. If you've never seen the cat out before I think that's a good sign. A cat can get pretty scraggley looking if it's been out and not cared for for 2 or 3 weeks. It could have just been a case of a very irresponsible pet sitter (all too common) and the owner may be as upset as you are. Although, personally I would never leave my animals with anyone I didn't know well or a very reputable pet sitter I know not everyone has that luxury. Unfortunately, if you're not happy with the owner and they still want the cat back (you can always ask!) there isn't much you can do about it. Unless, of course, you see the cat out again... :twisted:
Let us know how it goes.

#16 ·
It's 4:50 am thursday morning and I never got a call from the cat owners last night. I am a little concerned because since I took the cat in thursday night the kitty has only urinated once in the litter box and has not pooped from what I can see. The cat seems to be fine and has lots of energy. I just worry because as far as I can see it has only peed once and nothing else in a day and half. I just want to get this over with because i'm becoming way toooo attatched to this kitty.

#17 ·
It's possible that the owners got back really late and didn't feel comfortable calling in the middle of the night. If I found a pet, I'd be okay with them calling anytime day or night, but if I lost a pet, I'd wait until a normal hour to call. Just because you don't know how other people are with odd hour phonecalls.
Hopefully the owners will call and be overjoyed that their pet is safe, and furious with the pet sitter for letting it out.
Jennifer

#18 ·
yeah i am sure they just got in late like you said...I am just a bit frustrated though. The landlord called today and said she spoke to the owner and the owner assurred the landlord that the cat is indoors only and the pet/house sitter made a mistake. At least the kitty got a premo vacation here with me. Grade A cat food, treats, a brand new toy and a warm and cozy place to sleep. The cat box set up was a bit ghetto but it worked (long cardboard box with a garbage bag liner). I am home now from work and i hope to get a call soon. I am going to miss little Lilly ...she is sooo sweet and cute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.