Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, catnip does not affect my cat(s)

• Some of my cat likes it but some don't

Does your cat like catnip?

3K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  momofozzy 
#1 ·
I was just wondering because I thought all cats love catnip but I bought catnip yesterday and my cat just ignored it! She smelled it a little then rolled on it then left.. She didn't pay too much attention to it. My previous cats loved it and ate it and will be all crazy for a couple of minutes. I heard from a friend that for some cats, catnip does not do anything for them.

#2 ·
3 out of 4 of my cats like it but they all act differently. Sully roles in it and gets excited, Tasha eats it and gets that stoned lethargic look and Sara eats it and..well.. acts the same.

From time to time Angel will eat it but it doesn't do anything for her.

#3 ·
3 of mine do but the kitten does not. all of my cats have shown no interest in catnip until they were closer to a year old. is your cat a kitten?

one of my cats, when he was a kitten, actually would run away from catnip. he would make this funyn face like "ewwww, that stinks!" and then bolt and hide under the bed. when he got a little older this changed, and now he loves catnip.

#5 ·
my two older (4 & 5 month old) kittens don't seem to be affected by catnip much... but my 8week old absolutely loves the stuff!

i'm really not sure why some like it and some don't... before my two girls, i'd never even heard of a cat who doesn't like catnip!

#10 ·
4 out of my 6 like it.

It is actually genetic as to if a cat likes it or not. The statistic says that only 40% of cats have the gene that makes them like catnip.
Also males usually like it better than females do.

And kittens don't respond til they become sexually active around 6 months old - apparently it is the same area of the brain that is affected.

#11 ·
And kittens don't respond til they become sexually active around 6 months old - apparently it is the same area of the brain that is affected.
How does catnip affect male kittens that have been neutered, then? Star and Lucky were neutered back in August when they were 2 months old. Now they're four months going on five months old.

#12 ·
3 out of 4 of my kitties will react to it, although it depends on what brand it is. I grew catnip outside this summer. THAT was a totally different story! Mickey practically tore my fingers off before I could even put it on the floor. After a few times, they all would line up at the patio doors because they knew exactly where the catnip was growing and where I was, when I was picking it! They would see me picking it and start meowing at the door. I could hardly get in the door! Flipping and rolling on the floor, smacking at each other. They never react like that to the store-bought stuff!

#24 ·
my3kitties said:
How does catnip affect male kittens that have been neutered, then? Star and Lucky were neutered back in August when they were 2 months old. Now they're four months going on five months old.
Shouldn't make a difference - doesn't change the genetic predispostion to liking it or not. After all, they don't remove a part of the brain in that surgery. ;)

#26 ·
I grow catnip and give my cats the fresh leaves. I think they prefer it that way rather than dried. Plus it can help with a tummy ache. Makes a good tea for pple too if you're having an upset stomach.

The dry stuff is okay but if you really wanna see your cat go nuts...grow some catnip....it's a mint so its really easy. I would suggest hanging it up out of reach though or it won't last long outside!

Luckily my cats aren't allergic to it but I have known of cats who are so always test them with just a small bit the first time and see how they react.

Nerina~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.