Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Maine Coon question
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 03:46 PM
ihave4kitties

Wallace is what we call a Maine Coone wannabe.... He looks like one, acts like one, is large like one. If we didn't get him at the Humane Society with the tag saying he was a Domestic Med/long hair I would say he just may be. Anyway, he totally has that wonderfully thick, bunny soft fur on his belly, the maine, etc. I do notice that in the summer he thins out and now his fur is all thick and lovely and the mane part is all big again. His fur doesn't matt, he seems just fine in the summer (and we have no air conditioning) and we don't shave him. We don't think it is necessary for him. In the summer he sleeps belly up with legs sprawled out...it is just too cute. And like any good cat, the knows where the coo spots are. We do shave our Lewis though. He's a domestic long hair. His fur is terribly thick, long and matts horribly already and he isn't even 2. Even with combing and brushing we had such a hard time getting to the base at certain parts of his body, thus the matting. He also was very hot in the summer and seemed quite uncomfortable. We did end up shaving him even though the groomer recommended against it. I learned to do it myself...I don't recommend this really unless you have a cat like Lewis. He loves being shaved! And he seemed so much happier and more comfortable after his shave. I do notice that his fur isn't the same in color though. He's not as black as his grey/brown undercoat is more prominant. It sure is growing back fast though. You can't even tell now. I will wait until summer before his next shave though. So personally, I would not shave your Maine Coon's lovely fur with the exception of maybe a little belly fur and a "Behind" trim if needed. We trim Wallace's behind sometimes due to the periodic
cling-ons."

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome