Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Hi - help with giving pills please
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 07:10 PM
LakotaWolf
Senior Cat

Not to belabor a point, but imagine how it would feel if you tried taking a medication (or a Tylenol) without water. That is how an animal feels when we try to administer medication by shoving it into their mouth and forcing them to swallow it dry. I used to think this was the "only way" as well.

Pilling Cats (and Dogs) and Erosive Esophagitis Compounded Flavored Liquid Alternatives Transdermal Medications by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM

Now I use a rotation of three different pill pocket type products, so my cat doesn't get "bored" or tired of one type and refuse to eat them:

My cat loves all of these products and as long as I switch them around, doesn't get "tired" of the treat. I always break each "pocket" in half as the pills/partial pills are so small, they don't need the fullsize pocket.

Before I switched to using pill pocket type products, I used a human pill grinder thing and mixed the ground powder into my cat's canned/raw food. I never had an issue with my cat refusing to eat the medicated food, even with different medications. Your kitty's mileage may vary, though :}

But, definitely do NOT try to just put the pill into his mouth dry. It's a traumatizing experience for you both :{

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome