Cat Forum banner

Managing Diet in Multi-Cat Household

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  faerymagic 
#1 ·
I have three cats, all of which need different amounts of different foods. I'm looking for something that will allow one cat access to her food, but not the others. Is there anything like that out there? I remember seeing pet doors that were keyed to collar tags, which would allow cats in but not out, or whatever - If there's no other option, I was thinking about building something using that. Can anyone point me to resources for this, or have better solutions?

Thanks!

#3 ·
geeky

I know some "computer geek" made his own accessing system for his cat door so only his cat and no other cat or a cat carrying a mouse could enter.
I just feed my cats at specific mealtimes. I don't have 4 rooms for 4 cats so I just watch them carefully and make sure no one is eating 2 meals.

#5 ·
morea said:
we have "regular mealtimes" here, and everybody gets fed in separate rooms... that's the best way I have been able to sort it out, but maybe someone else here has a better idea. Good luck! :)
That's what I do here. I have six cats and between them all, they eat three different types of food so they're separated according to what they eat.

#7 ·
I have gotten lucky I guess because I don't have to play food cop and they are on different diets.

Schnitz is more agile and manages his weight just fine free feeding. He gets his food on top of the refrigerator.

Squirrel eats until the bowl is empty and therefore gains weight if she was allowed unlimited access to food. She is not agile enough to make it to the top of the fridge so she gets her controlled portion on the floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.