Cat Forum banner

A quick, cat question

698 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  October 
#1 ·
Hey there. I'm new to this board, well ive been reading but i recently just registered. I've always had indoor cats growing up and now that i just recently have moved out of the house, I'd like to get a cat of my own. I'm leaning towards adopting a cat from the SPCA, which I never have before. (My family lived in the country and we just took in cats that came to us and owners didnt claim). Has anyone adopted from the SPCA here? One problem I notice with the SPCA though(at least the cats they list on petfinder) are mostly not declawed (even the older ones) and where I'll be living there will be 2 other cats and a dog. I know a lot of people are against declawing but I'm afraid if I dont have a declawed cat, he/she will fight with the other cats(who are declawed) and the dog, and also scratch up furniture. Ive always had my cats declawed. Any suggestions, or info on this, and what you would suggest for this situation?

#2 ·
Hi, and welcome to the board, I'm Mike....the butler/can-opener/man-friday and keeper of the keys for the Jellicle Tribe.

The best advice I've got is to go back to petfinder...halfway down the homepage on the left is a link for "advanced search". This will allow you to search for "declawed only" (near the bottom of the advanced search page). I just tried it for my area and found 28 matches, so you shouldn't have any trouble. I really do like your idea of adopting one thats already declawed instead of putting another cat through the procedure. Best of luck on your search, and when you make your decision....post pictures :)

#4 ·
Welcome Elgeen....

I'm a bit confused....first you say that you've moved out and want to get a cat of your own, but then you're talking about it getting along with two other cats and a dog...where do they come in?

Regarding declawing...If the new cat is known to get along with other animals and is introduced properly the concern about the new cat having claws should be minimal. I'm not sure from your post if you know the details of what declawing involves, if you don't you should look at this site...

http://www.declawing.com/

If you still feel you really must have a declawed cat, getting one that is already declawed is a good idea...as is Mike's suggestion for finding one.

#5 ·
We did find a declawed cat from an SPCA shelter, so I know you can do it. There are several listed on the SPCA shelter right now. I wouldn't have the heart to have one declawed, but I figured if it's already been done, that cat should be adopted just like any of the others. As long as you're sure it will be an indoor-only cat, I sure don't see any harm in that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.