Has anybody used this before? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Has anybody used this before?

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-E ... ZQodEksIaA

It is safe to use around animals, humans, etc. It is also environmental friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 07:04 PM

Yes, I actually bought a five-pound bag of this recently. I spent a good two hours rubbing it into my carpets last weekend - which went pretty well, though it would not work on my velvet couch

We had to lock the kitties up in the bathroom while doing it, though, and wear dust mask, as it is completely innocuous (and even benefitial) when ingested, but can cause respiratory problems if inhaled (because it is razor sharp at a microscopic level).

Too soon too tell if it will help with our flea problems, I have to wait til I can put another dose on Revolution on the cats to judge (I got them the kitten size the first time, but they are obviously well over 5lbs now, so I guess it is not working as well as it should be).

I will invest in a salt-box to sprinkle it more easily though, because by hand it can end up being really hard to rub it in an homogenic way, without causing your carpet to look dusty (you do have to reapply it every time you do a thorough vaccuuming too).

That's the extent of what I know about it (besides the fact that I can never spell it without copying and pasting it) Hope this helps!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks that really helped. I will be ordering some today and when my mom and I start spring cleaning it is going to be everywhere. How often do you vaccum throughtly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 02:18 PM

I used to vaccuum thoroughly ever other day, but with that powder I am going to do it only once a week - just because I can't see myself on all fours rubbing it into the carpet twice a week

If you are planning on rubbing some of it on your couch or blanket, I would suggest you make a test on a tiny spot before going all out... the powder will not rub into certain fabrics.

Good luck!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Nini!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page