Danger Kitty! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Danger Kitty!

Cleo was eating only dry food when I adopted her, so she just LOVED getting wet food, which was good because she would eat everything, so I was finally able to use all the cans that Cinderella wouldn't eat. Then she stopped eating anything minced, chunky, diced, sliced, whatever. She would lick the gravy or sauce off and leave the food. She would only eat what I call "mush food." Fine, I have a lot of that, too, since the Diva won't eat mush. Now, she's refusing to eat any wet food. I'm at my wit's end, since I've been trying to wean them both off of dry food all together. She's been sneaking Cinderella's dry food when she runs out, and usually if I just say, "That's not yours," she'll run away. (Their bowls are at opposite ends of the house.)

This morning, everything that could go wrong getting ready for work, did go wrong. Finally, I'm about to leave the house, I've given them both their wet food - but I'm totally out of dry now, although I bought more tonight - in case the little stinker keeps refusing the wet.

Cinderella is at her bowl eating her wet food and Cleo walks right to her and starts eating what little is left in Cinderella's dry food bowl. I thought, Holy Crap, here we go! They've never really had a cat fight, but this will just be too much for Cinderella.

Cinderella stopped eating, looked at Cleo, and then just kept on eating her wet food.

You could have knocked me over with a feather!

Danger Kitty has a very patient "big sister."

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Banned

The other cat's food always looks more appetizing that what's in your own dish. But no kidding, I hope she's not going to give you the troubles Mellie has been giving me. But people have given me a lot of good tips in that thread if you need to use any of them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Ah....Cleo is taking her life in her paws!

I would take away dry over the weekend and see what happens....

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

When I got home, of course there was no dry left at all. And she just kept going to the empty bowl and looking. I gave in and bought seafood flavored wet food to see if that would tempt her back. She ate about 2/3 of it, then kept going back to Cinderella's dry dish. I gave in and gave them both about a tablespoon of the dry that I bought. I'm sure she'll eat both portions. I don't mind that Cinderella eats dry food, because she's always on the cusp of being underweight, but I'm going to have to make both of them do without if I want Cleo to stop eating it. I never thought a little dry was bad. Until recently, it seems a combination was recommended, even here. Did the tainted food scare change people's opinions??

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

I'm still feeding some dry food...1/8 cup (each) every night and if I need to leave them something because I know I'm going to be late coming home. They are getting EVO though so I'm not too worried about any of the recall issues.

My opinion is that avoiding dry is the ideal situation, but the reality is that it's not entirely possible unless someone is always home at mealtime. Which definitely isn't my schedule, so I feed a little dry regularly because a) I want them to be used to it so they eat it when I can't be home. b) I'm not up for washing food dishes and doling out wet food at 10-11pm which is when they get their dry food snack. c) they like it and since they don't refuse their wet food, I figure the handful they get isn't going to kill them.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

They both usually snacked on the dry in the middle of the night/morning. When Cleo wakes up and starts wanting to play, usually around 5 a.m., I put her out of my room and close the door and she plays in her room and I hear her munching her food.

But that was when she was eating all of her wet food. Right now, she still has some dry left - I bought a new (better) brand, so maybe it isn't quite so fun and tasty as the other.

And, Tim, I had posted on your thread about this, but I took it back off right away because Mellie's issues also have to do with Little Gray and I just wanted you to get advice for Mellie, but I am taking note of all the replies, thanks.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Banned

That was nice of her to let her eat her dry food
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I was pleasantly surprised (to say the least)! They're able to be in the same room, closer and closer, and even shared a little treat together, eating out of the same little dish last night!

And I just checked, and the little bit of dry I gave her is gone, but almost all of the wet is, also!

Although she was just checking out Cinderella's dry bowl - and she may eat it while I'm not watching. Sneaky little kitty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page