Staying ahead of Freeway...the kitchen - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Staying ahead of Freeway...the kitchen

I should have titled this "keeping up with Freeway", because I don't know if I'll ever be able to stay ahead of the little guy.

In the last couple of days, Freeway has discovered that he is now getting strong and agile enough to get onto the kitchen cabinets pretty much whenever he wants to, and not just when there is something close to them to climb on. And this has created a new set of problems. He is totally unaware of what a range top can do to a kittens feet. I have a flat, glass top electric range, and even after it is turned off, the glass top retains heat for a good long time. I have some of the tin decorative "burner covers" to put over the elements when they are not in use, but if I try to cover them immediately after I use them, the leftover heat causes the paint on the covers to blister and the tin to warp.

So, I went rummaging through cabinets and managed to find an assortment of glass pot tops that no longer have pots to them (either I burned them up, or lost them, or the handles broke, or whatever).

The glass lids will not warp, I can see through them to notice if I turned on the wrong heating element (which I do quite a bit), and Freeway won't get burned. The lids WILL get hot, but not hot enough to burn. And if my mom comes over, I can just set the lids in the dish strainer and it looks completely normal

This should do as a fix until I convince Freeway that he's not to be on the kitchen counters (yeah...right)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Fearless Freeway!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Premier Cat

Aaaaahhhh! I would squirt bottle him until he was soaked everytime he got on the range! So painful for kitty-feet...
We have only had gas or electric burners. I usually keep my pot/pan on the burner until it is cool enough to remove. My kitties don't get on the stove, at least I never see them up there...but for me, to keep their little feet safe, I keep the pot on there.
I LOVE your idea of using the glass lids. I will have to tell my mother about that. She has a flat/glass range AND a new kitten! Great idea to save their little footsies...
h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Premier Cat

We have one of those stoves and they stay hot forever. What a great idea you had!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Senior Cat

ahahah! he learned it early! Kaia just learned how to jump on counters last week when she was 11 weeks old ... she gets a nice squirt of water when she jumps up

Lauren&

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Premier Cat

Great idea!! He's so cute.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Premier Cat

I spoke with my Mother a short bit ago and told her about the glass lids. She says she uses the squirt bottle, but she is going to have my sister pull out 1-2 glass lids specifically to put over hot elements.
See...great ideas get passed along for making our cat-lives better!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Banned

Ouch , I'm glad he won't put his paws on the oven now , great idea .
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 06:04 AM
Cat Addict

He is such a cutie! Looks like he is constantly on a mission. A mission of trouble!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 AM

What a little darling that kitten is... I love hearing stories about him!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page