Collar Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Collar Help!

I've done searches on collar threads but need more info.

I DO need a collar for at least one cat. He is very curious and I could see him happening to get out. He is microchipped, but I'd feel better if he wore a collar.

Here are questions . . .
(1) The breakaway collar . . .do they just keep coming off and become worthless? Are some better than others? I saw a Lupine recommended here. Is that a good one?
(2) The Beastie Band . . .is this better than a trad. breakaway or annoying?
(3) When should I get a tag (gonna get a Boomerang)? Try the collar out, make sure it works, and THEN get a tag?

TY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Premier Cat

The safety collar is what I would recommend and I do this for a living. In fact, I won't take the chance of making a collar that isn't a breakaway, as I'd hate to find out someone's kitty got stuck on something by wearing one of my collars. The beastieband should be good too since it stretches all the way around, I think the cats could always slide out of it.

The trick is to get them used to it young. I believe it takes about 10lbs of pressure to pull apart, so it's ideal to get them used to it. Trot was close to 17 lbs and never pulled his off and my others have never minded wearing theirs either. However, I have had friends that had theirs pulled off and lost the first day. Though each of them were trying out a collar on a cat that was anywhere from 2-10 years old for the first time.

Lupine collars are better for dogs as their main attribute is that they gaurantee against chewing.

I'd try the collar first and see how it works out. You'll be able to tell in a day or two if the cat will tolerate it. Then by the tag. You don't want to wait too long with the tag because they can get used to the collar without the tag and then get annoyed when you add it on.

Gotta love em!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddFran
The safety collar is what I would recommend and I do this for a living. In fact, I won't take the chance of making a collar that isn't a breakaway, as I'd hate to find out someone's kitty got stuck on something by wearing one of my collars.

Wait . . .you MAKE collars??? If so, where do you sell them??? Link, link!

As for the Beastie Band, at first I thought they were not breakaway so I did not consider them, but I thought someone here posted they were but worked differently. I don't know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Premier Cat

I'll PM, we aren't supposed to advertise sites here on the forum (unless you are a paid advertiser of course!). Though honestly, if you are trying a collar out for the first time, I'd probably pick up a cheapy one and try that first. This way you aren't out but a few bucks if it doesn't work out.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Senior Cat

i have the lupine collars on my cats and they do brake away my 2 cats have them on and they work fine my female cat got out side a few times and lost 2 collars but other wise they work fine and my female cat is fussy i have never had a cat like her she will only were red don't know why. i had a black one on her she lost it i put all other colors and she lost them i finally got a red one and wow she keep it on. i don't know if she is special or what but all my other cats in the past have never cared what color
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Premier Cat

That's so funny! Cats are aware of how their color blends in to the background so they can hide. Sounds like your kitty has a fashion sense of what goes with her fur coat.

I had a cat who would not keep a collar on, no matter what. Velvet didn't like collars. She wouldn't fight when I put the collar on, but then she'd go out and come back without it. Little rascal.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Premier Cat

Ha, funny story about the color. Those others must have clashed with her fur and you can't have that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page