What to do... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

What to do...

Hello

I have a 2yr old DSH Female, Molly. And this Friday I'm adopting another DSH Female, Stella. Stella was spayed last Thursday. Molly is also spayed.

I currrently have 1 litter box, and a big bowl for food and one for water. Do I need to go upto 2 littter boxes and feeding bowls? Will Molly become possessive over these items?

I'm anticipating a bit of a fight at first, but not quite sure how to set up for 2 cats!!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sheila & Molly

Forever missing Dixie & Billy...
Head over heels in love with Molly, Talladega & Bella
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Premier Cat

Yep, you'll need two of everything as they shouldn't even meet face to face for several days. You'll basically need to give the new kitty her own little room for several days, so she can get aquainted with a new environment, smells, foods, noises, you, etc.

During this time pay a lot of attention to your other kitty so she doesn't feel left out.

Here are some great articles by Dr. Jean.

http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?actio ... roductions

http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?actio ... yournewcat

http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?actio ... getakitten
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 10:19 AM

I have 3 cats and have 3 litter boxes and only 1 food bowl and 2 water bowls. They never eat/drink or use the litter box at the same time. I agree that you should play with your other kitty and not to ignore her. I have never seperated my cats from each other for introductions. Miss Chloe is the matriarch, she hated Willie when I first got him, she hated Buddy when I first got him as well. She still dislikes them both and will not have anything to do with them but that is just her, she is a loner, she hates all cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Premier Cat

Oh, yeah, for health reasons you should keep them seperated, too. Incase the shelter kitty comes home with a URI or worms, which they often do.

Don't forget to show us pics.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Health issues??? She was at the vets on THUR to get spayed and also found out she has ear mites... She is being treated and I'll have to continue treatment when I get her Friday. But don't the vets check her for everything while she's there???

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

That was last Thurs...you won't get her till over a week later. You have no idea what disease or parasite she was exposed to in that week and could be incubating. In addition, just the stress of the move to a new home may bring on a URI that you would not want your other kitties exposed to.

In addition, shelters are typically understaffed, it's very easy for them to miss something, especially if it's in early stages. They don't get to spend enough time with the animals, the way an animal behaves in shelter is usually very different than the way they are when they get settled in at home. The vet was being paid to spay her, it's not likely that they'll do a full exam (Unless they told you he would), but even then, they are not likely to be as careful as when an owner brings in their pet. The first thing you should do when getting a new kitten is bring it to your vet to be checked out, before ever thinking of introducing it to any animals currently in the house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Everything is being done here locally, and the vet is my vet. Also, she's not coming from a shelter, but a foster home. And I know the people fostering her so I think she'll be OK.
I just hope I'll be OK.. LOL

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Premier Cat

Long term she'll probably be fine. Foster care kittens deal with the same thing though if they are being fostered with any other kittens. And, like doodlebug said, sometimes it can take a week or so before it comes out and the stress of moving to a new home alone can do that - in addition to recovering from her spay surgery...

Not trying to worry you, but you really should just keep them separate for several days to a week. It's tempting to just put them together right away, and there's a good chance, they will get along fine, but it's still not in anyone's best interest.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Cat Addict

I agree.
Keeping them separated for a while first, and then doing a slow and proper introduction is best. New kitty is going to be overwhelmed with the new environment, new people and new smells. They often ajust to their new environment quicky and are less stressed if you keep them confined to one room for a little while. If you bring her home and then release her into a whole house, you'll probably find that she spends a lot of time hiding, rather than becoming comfortable and getting aquainted with you.

Getting aquainted with your other cats is another concern. The reasons for doing a slow and careful introduction is to help guarentee that they will be able to live peacefully with each other for the rest of their lives. A botched intro can affect their relationship for years. A lot of people have just brought home a new cat and let the cats work it out. This works for some people, and some cats, but for many, it doesn't. This was the way my family's first 3 cats were introduced to each other, and I think thats probably a big part of the reason why they had never gotten along. Why take the chance of your cats spending an entire lifetime disliking each other just to intergrate the new cat faster? It'll be less stressful for everyone, and you'll increase the chance of having good results if you follow the proper steps .
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sooo... I can let the original cat wonder the house, but close up the new one in a room? Let's say I chose my bedroom... I put her litter, food and water in there and close my door? For 3 days or so??? That sounds rough on the new one, no?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page