Newbie looking for some support - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Newbie looking for some support

Hi there. First, an introduction...my name is Stacey and I am mom to two cats, Pookie, age 12 and Muffin, age 1. I also have two dogs, two human kids and one husband.

I just aquired Muffin yesterday, as a rehome from a co-worker. She had mentioned to me last week that she was going to take her cat to the humane society on Monday (today) if she couldn't find a home for her, b/c she could no longer keep her in the apartment. I said I might take her, if my husband didn't mind and if she was ok with the kids and had a generally good personality. The plan was for my co-worker to bring the cat over today and if we liked her we would keep her.

Well, she called me yesterday morning very upset, saying that her roomates were mistreating the cat, and could she bring her over that night. I said yes, and she came over with the cat. Now up until this point I assumed this was a cat she had from a kitten that had been vetted and whatnot, but when they got to my house, she told me that she had found her as a stray two or three weeks ago. Still it was a very pretty cat and seemingly sweet, so we agreed to keep her overnight and see how she worked out. I kept her seperate from my other animals, and she did fine. I told my co-worker this morning that we would keep her, and I got her in to the vet this morning also.

The good news from the vet is that she is negative for FIV and feline leukemia. The bad news is, she has ringworm and lung worm, both treatable though......the really bad news is that this little girl is pregnant. Not very far along, so I have decided to go ahead and spay her - there is just no way we can handle kittens, and she is only 10 months old. After all this is said and done, I will be pretty much flat broke. I had no idea that her vet bill for today would be so much, and I planned on spaying her anyway, but had not counted on the extra cost of her being pregnant, and I had not planned on doing it until next month. I never would have dreamed that one little stray cat would cost me as much as five rescue cats, already spayed and vetted.

My husband is being a trooper about all this, even though he says he wouldn't have agreed had he known she was a stray and not someones family cat. My kids are in love with Muffin, and she is ours now, I just have to keep reminding myself that I am helping this girl and giving her a nice life, and she will be giving us years of friendship, because when I start thinking about how I am going to pay for this, it makes me physically ill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Since this is a co-worker, would she be at all willing to help out? You were not told the truth about this kitty (although she may not have known the kitty was pregnant). I just spent $600 on a kitty I got from someone who was not honest, either, but like you, she's mine now.

You're very kind-hearted to keep this kitty, although with your kids falling in love with her, you pretty much don't have a choice now. Kudos to your husband, too.

And welcome!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

I do plan on asking her to help out - my husband suggested that too. I don't think she knew the cat was pregnant though. You can't tell at all by looking at her.

And thanks for the welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Cat Addict

Its wonderful that you have taken in this needy kitty and have given her a great home. Its too bad she is pregnant, but I think you are making the best decision for all by having her spayed.

As for the vet bills, is there a way you can work out a payment plan with your vet? or, if you can, how about having a credit card set aside for unexpected vet bills? That way you can pay in smaller installments, which would make it less of a shock.

I'm sure Muffin will repay you for the kindness you've shown her with years of wonderful feline companionship. Rescue kitties can be very expensive sometimes, but they are so worth it!

And welcome to the forum Please post pics of your kitties when you can!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome to the forum. You seem like a kind hearted soul! You are in the right place, with many like-hearted people. Many of us have been in your position, I am right now myself. There are no words I can offer to put you at ease of the expensive vet bills, but just keep trying to think about what a wonderful thing you are doing and how many great years your family will have with this girl. I know it's hard...trust me, I know...but it will get better.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 05:55 PM

Oh, good for you giving this little kitty such a great home.

Vet bills can get sooo expensive!!

I've been thinking of getting pet insurance. Does anyone have an opinion about that? I read a Consumer Report that said the problem with it was that they don't pay for a lot of things. Any feedback?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Premier Cat

Hmmm. Funny you asked about pet insurance. I have been having major problems with Shelter care. I signedup the day I adopted the 2 kittens which was 5/20, I have the confirmation email saying the effective date was 5/21/07 beginning at 12:01am. Cats were treated on 5/22 - but Shelter Care has decided to change my effective date to 5/23 to make the sick kitty's condition "pre existing". I told them I had proof that I signed up on 5/20 and they say that I didn't. Told them I have the confirmation email, they asked me to fax it...fax was busy so they gave me another fax number, fax was busy, they gave me a 3rd fax number. I've been trying to fax this email for 8 days, every fax number is busy and my home fax has already spit out 27 confirmations showing busy.
They will not give me an email address to forward the confirmation to and the claim the confirmation number on the email is not coming up in their system...So...then where the h*ll did they get my name, address and kitty informatin to send me my welcome packets? It just appeared there by itself?? So, I've left messages for a supervisor, which has been 5 business days with no call back, they've altered my effective date and you can't fax any information or your claims to them because all their faxes are busy. Ironically, they have time limits on everything and you have to submit everything within 30 days or it's not valid any longer...Hmmm...scam?? Makes ya wonder!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Don't let them away with that! You have proof. Take them to the magistrate.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Cat

Wow! I am so glad she is with you!

It really disturbs me that the co-workers roomates were mistreating the cat. What's up with that? Sounds creepy!

Anyway, your cat is VERY lucky!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, she didn't give me many details on the roomates, but she said they were scaring her and that they locked her in the bathroom while she was at work and she rubbed the hair off of her cheeks trying to get out by sticking her face under the door. She does have two symetrical red, bald spots on the sides of her nose. I told the vet the story and she said it could be from that, but could also be from the ringworm.

She is under the bed now, and has been all day. I think she is still freaked out about being at the vets. She was sure making herself at home last night though. We're keeping her in our room, and she jumped around and talked all night. I woke up at 4:00 am and she was hanging from the blinds by her front paws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page