Cat Acting Very Strange...Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Cat Acting Very Strange...Help!

My cat has been acting strange lately. At night, I will wake up and find her sitting on the nightstand next to my head just staring at me. This may not seem stranege, but she is normally at my feet sleeping. I do not sleep good at night and get up several times and lately, she has been right there looking at me. Even weirder, she will wake me out of my sleep by gently batting at my lips. At first I though she needed to go outside but when I try to let her out, she just walks away from the door. And it's not a food thing cuz they'll be food in her dish. She is an adult cat so it's not a "play" thing either. My mom who has had cats for many years, says she is "worried" about me, almost like she may know something is about to happen to me. The scary thing is, I have bee having a few strange health concerns lately as well. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 05:22 PM

freaky, i would go get checked out
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Cool Cat

She could very well be worried. You said, "I do not sleep good at night." I'll bet you toss and turn and even moan or mumble in your sleep. She's either confused and worried, or she is anticipating that you will wake up in a moment --- which it sounds like you do. I'm a "bad sleeper", too. My guys have pretty much learned where to sleep to keep from being kicked or rolled on or generally abused. And as soon as I make a noise, they're all like, "Mommie's waking up! Must be time to eat!"

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:42 PM

Weird...I'd go get checked out too. She may know/sense something that you don't. You never know. I've read stories about animals that can sense their owners' seizures coming on and things like this. How sweet that she's looking after you.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 PM

All I can say is.............listen to your kitty! Go get yourself checked out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

I have to tell you this story; I'm pretty sure it's a true story, but I don't know if I have all the details right; I do remember reading it somewhere, but I don't recall the source.

This person was complaining about his cat waking him up several times during the night. He wasn't getting enough sleep; he was tired all the time; he blamed it on his cat. Eventually he mentioned this to someone who suggested he see a doctor. It turns out he had sleep apnea. If you don't know what that is, it's a condition where a person stops breathing for a short period of time during their sleep. It interrupts their sleep patterns - thus the tiredness. It also causes oxygen deprivation - thus the tiredness. It's even life threatening if a person doesn't come far enough out of deep sleep to resume breathing.

So it turned out that this cat, observing him ceasing to breath, kept waking him up so he would resume breathing. Thus quite likely saving his life.

Then again, it may just be your cat picking up on your anxieties and reflecting them in the changed behavior. But still......it's good advice above......get yourself checked out.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

I was thinking about that exact same thing, Tim.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

A friend of mine has sleep apnea and sometimes falls asleep without her mask or she takes it off in her sleep. She often wakes to her cat patting her on the face. She definitely believes that the cat is alerting her that she isn't breathing.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page