Cat changing color? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cat changing color?

Here's the diva when I first got her:

And here's a picture from last night (my kitties are getting along so well - she's letting Cleo sneak a bit of her tiny daily portion of dry food!).

She's so much darker - is that normal? She'll be 5 years old in August. It just seems so drastic for one year. (I know - I worry about everything!)

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:55 PM

In the first picture was she spayed yet, or recently spayed? Kota pretty much turned all brown like that after she was spayed. Or maybe its just an age thing. She's still a cutie though!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

I was talking with a friend today and the conversation started off being about how big I expected Holly to get and when I mentioned that Maine Coons take 4 years to reach full size....she said that Ragdolls are the same (she has one) and also mentioned that it takes that long for their color to develop fully...so I'd bet that Birmans may have a similar trait given that they're both pointed breeds...

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsgirl
She's still a cutie though!
Thanks!

No, I think she was spayed when she was very young. I have all her medical records at home. I'm sure she was spayed early, because I have all her registration papers, and since she's a purebred, they wouldn't have given her away without spaying her first (right?).

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks, Doodlebug. Coincidentally, I saw the most adorable 4 year old Maine Coon the same color as Holly on Craigslist and I wanted him sooooooo badly. (and he was kind of big)

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Aw c'mon...the girls need a boyfriend...don't be a spoil sport

Although, you're just achieving peace, I bet you want to enjoy that for a while. I know I intend to enjoy it for quite a while, the last couple months have been so great compared to the 20+ preceding months with Callie being sick, losing her and then introducing Holly...I'm very happy to have harmony.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Premier Cat

I'm under the impression that Siamese cat (body) color is influenced by temperature.

Warmer = lighter.
Cooler = darker.

Is she in AC?

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks, Heidi. Well, she's not Siamese (but I'm sure the same applies to Birmans and Ragdolls, etc.), and no, no A/C.

Doodle - I try to make myself stay OFF of Craigslist and Petfinder, but because I couldn't get on Cat Forum until 4 p.m., I had to waste time at work looking at something! And no, I don't need any more drama or stress. But I do tend to fall for so many cats. Here's Tigger (so you can see the size of a 4 year old Maine Coon):

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/pet/347151041.html

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

He's a cutie...hard to tell if that's all fur or if he's a chunker. Holly looks like she's huge till you smoosh down the fur and can feel her ribs and spine

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I kind of thought the same thing when I saw his picture.

Cinderella looks kind of big now, but it's just more and more fur! She tips the scales at a whopping 8.75 or 9 lbs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page