Memory Glass *update - its here* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Memory Glass *update - its here*

I fell in love with this idea a while back. I don't really know why I was looking, but decided to see what options our pet cremation services offered other than the actual cremation and urn choices.

With all that I've been going through with Addison, the actual last thing on my mind was what to do when he was gone. I've never liked the idea of looking at a box full of ashes... but then I remembered seeing the memory glass.

I tried to just post a picture, but the site doesn't allow it. So here's the website:

http://goodshepherdpet.com/memoryglass.htm

I had to call and ask about sizes. The small is a 1-2inch diameter and weighs about 1-1 1/2 pounds. The large is about a 3inch diameter and weighs closer to 3 pounds. They also offer the pendants (and would be more economical to get two of those, one for me and one for mom) but I just didn't like the look of them.

I haven't quite decided on colors yet. I think I'll have the sterling silver in there for his coat and wanted something for his eyes. They tend to range from a greenish to yellow, but neither of the colors they had stood out to me. I may get one of the blues to match his color.

I plan on getting a shadow box with one of my favorite pictures of him and his clay paw. In front of it, I'd like to place the memory glass and probably sit his color on top of it.

As sad as all of this is, at least knowing I'm planning something before its too late is my last bit of comfort.

Has anyone gotten one of these for your pet or even seen them? We had one in the clinic a while back, but all I remember is I liked the idea... I don't think I looked at it too closely.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Premier Cat

I have never seen these before. I have been looking for a way to memorialize black kitty and properly place her ashes (can they do it after the fact, I wonder?). What a great idea. I love these. Thanks for posting about them.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I'm sure if you got the ashes back they can do it. When I asked the girl how specifically I needed to do it (they come to pick up the animals from us, but the tags we use as identification only have spots to mark if the ashes are to be returned or not). She said that they actually send some of the ashes to the company that makes the glass and they do the rest.

Jessie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Premier Cat

That is a wonderful idea. Thank you so much for sharing this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 07:08 PM

There is another site that I frequent for diabetic cats and one of the people got it done when her cat died a few years ago. They are very happy with it.
I think it's the same company, but here is where she got her's done.
They also have pendants on their website.
http://pet.memoryglass.com/
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Jr. Cat

That's a nice idea, I hadn't heard of that before!

There's also something called Lifegem, which can turn the ashes into a diamond.

http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/belove ... n2006.aspx
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Wow - that website had some beautiful glasses to choose from! I almost wish I had found that first, but I'm happy with my decision. Just waiting for it at this point.

And I liked the diamonds too, but at several thousand dollars it just wasn't in the cards for me.

Jessie

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 10:40 PM
Premier Cat

I loved the diamonds idea, but agree with you Jessie.
I've been waiting to find the right thing for Fifi's ashes (Black Kitty) and am leaning towards this memory glass also.

I just now came across this site as well:
http://www.artfromashes.com/about.htm

They have a few other options I haven't seen and the prices are very reasonably compared to a few others I came across.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Premier Cat

Here is another option for the jewelry type, while not diamonds...certainly more affordable and some are very pretty.

http://www.pet-gems.com/comersus6f/stor ... _index.asp
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I got Addison's memory glass back today.

I think its very pretty and I'm glad I had it done... I'd much rather look at this than the urn we have sitting on the living room (I didn't think I'd get his ashes back, but don't have it in me to get rid of them).

Jessie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page