Window perches... updated - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Window perches... updated

I'm looking for reccomendations on window perches. We've just moved to a new apartment which has some great windows, even two "glass corners" that have a window on both sides of the corner. The problem is that the heat pumps in each room are right under the windows so I can't really put my cat trees there. The windows have 2 - 3 inch sills so I'm thinking of getting a number of perches and setting them up in place of the cat trees.

Having done a cursory search online I see that many of these perches attach with velcro. Can anyone vouche for that attachment method? The girls weigh about 12 pounds each and I'm sure that launching from the platform would put a great deal more stress on it. Will velcro hold? The sills are wooden so I guess I could get a perch that screws in but we are renting and I'm not sure which method would actually do more damage. I could fill the screw holes with putty before we leave but I think that pulling up a velcro strip would probably tear up the paint too so I'd have to do a bit of painting before we leave.

I guess I'm just looking for something secure and sturdy. Anyone have any reccomendations or horror stories?

Thanks
Kel

Editing to add a couple of pictures. This apartment faces in on an interior courtyard that has a lot of nice trees and such. In these photos poor Miss Bri was being bawled out by a pair of bluejays.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 09:49 AM

Check out these, they say they install without screws in double hung windows. They probably have something that the window closes on to keep it secure. But since your window trim is painted, it would be even easier to hide the screw holes. Putty then paint and no one would notice afterwards.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 2002&Nty=1

And I also saw this which looks like any cat would really love it. It is nota perch but it is a great idea.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... &N=0&Nty=1
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

I have a couple of the ones that attach with velcro and they're fine...They've have Kobi & Holly on them together fairly regularly and they have even wrestled up there with no indication that it was coming loose. Combined they weigh close to 29 lbs.

Just make sure the wood is really clean before attaching (wipe it down with a cleaner to make sure there aren't any oil residues or dirt/dust) and make sure to line up the strips on the 2 pieces carefully. Oh...and remember to put the loop side (softer side) on the sill...in case you need to take them down temporarily (e.g. to wash the covers) then the kitties can still sit in the window and it won't be rough on their little paws

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 AM

I've got one of the regular velcro kind that Pookie uses, and it holds her fine (she's about 12 lbs also). One bad thing is you can't move it once it is in place, and if you un-velcro it, it doesn't stick back as tightly. I un stuck mine, just the velcro, not the sticky tape, and stuck it right back, and now it's wobbly.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Well I installed a pair of perches for their highnesses and the reception was not what I expected. The pictures say it all .

**** animals ! Now if I would have stapled the cardboard box the perches came in to the window sill they would thrilled I'm sure.

Oh well, I'm sure in time they will use them. Especially once I have to have the windows closed in the fall, then there won't be an alternative.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 01:47 PM

LOL! As I recall, it took Pookie a while to get used to her perch, like a few weeks, so maybe they will come around?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Cat

i always wanted to get them for my cats but i dont have a window that they like anyways that i could put on on lol. ok i will say that better the cats have only one window that is there fav but i have to keep a heavy rocking chair in front of it becuse the dogs also love to prounce on the window so there is no room for one of them there. and i bet in time your cats will love them. i dont know how you get your cats to play with toys thou my cats only like to play with the stuffing that the dogs pull out of there toys i thought about just throwing the cat toys away and family keeps giving me more toys. sorry to high jack this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried putting some catnip on the perches? Might attract them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Cat Addict

Typical felines! in time they will love them!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

OMG! I'm sorry - I feel your pain, but those two pictures are so funny! I bought Cinderella a nice big toy when I first got her, which of course she never played with.

BUT

It's been over a year, and I still have the stupid box it came in because she likes to sleep in the darned thing!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page