What do you do... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

What do you do...

When a family member has pets and treats them badly. My sister and her family insist on getting pets.

10 years ago, they got a cat. It escaped from home and came home pregnant. They found homes for all the kittens except for 1, which they kept. They got the mama cat and the kitten spayed and declawed. Fast forward 2 years, the mama cat has some sort of growth on her head, keeps running away and coming back days later stinking and filthy. Sister and husband take her out and drop her off in the country. Keep the kitten a few more years. Sister decided son is allergic to cat, gives me the cat. Kitty says it was the happiest day in her life.

9 years ago, they got a puppy named it Rudy...it lasted about a year before they gave it away through the humane society (they kept it until a home was found)

5 years ago, they got another puppy named it Ruby. It grew to be quite big. They kept it outdoors all day in a kennel and indoors at night in a kennel. 1 year ago, they took her to the humane society and dropped her off. She was peeing inside a lot and they didn't really like her anymore. She really should have been with someone who hunted as she would make a good hunting dog.

2 years ago, they got another kitten (guess son wasn't allergic) for Christmas. That kitten lasted only 2 months. It was peeing everywhere apparently. They took it back to the humane society.

3 years ago, they got another dog, named it Jackie...they still have him. We'll see how long it is before they get tired of him.

1 year ago, they got ANOTHER dog, named her Polly. She's still the favorite and they baby her...but they are starting to be bored with her too.

About the same time they got Polly (1 year ago), they got two kittens to keep as outside cats. The cats mainly live in their extra garage.

So, right now, they have 2 dogs and 2 cats. They just went on vacation for 2 weeks. They took the dogs to a boarding facility, but the cats they just left in the garage with a ton of food and water. My little sister was in town and went over there the other day. OMG. No food, No Water, and poop EVERYWHERE. I didn't think that my sister was serious when she said that the cats would be fine alone. I assumed that she was having someone check on them every other day or something. Nope. Na da. I would do it if I lived closer than 2 hours away. Grr...

I realize that some people don't think of their pets as members of the family. But seriously, at some point in time don't you just think...maybe we're not really pet people. It's worse when it's family.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Premier Cat

Oh man, what a situation for you to be caught in the middle of. It's your family, but yet you SOOOO disagree with what they are doing and the well being of animals are involved.

I've had disagreements with my sister about care of her puppy and it was nothing as severe as this. I feel for you. I guess you just need to weigh if it's worth it for you to say something. I personally, would feel compelled to say and do something, but many would probably disagree with me on that.

Good luck in whatever your decide to do. Atleast you were able to vent a little here to folks who totally understand your frustration.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

If this is the same Humane Society, don't they keep records? Could you call them and ask them to put your family on a "do not adopt to" list or something? Geesh! This whole thing is disgusting and heartbreaking.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

People like that DRIVE ME CRAZY! Unfortunately I suspect that if you say anything it would have a seriously bad effect on your relationship and not likely to cause any change in their behavior.

Where are these animals coming from? I've had people come in to the Shelter to adopt...if they gave me a history like that I would deny their application. And amazingly enough most of these people have no clue just how poor of a pet owner they are and will tell you about all the animals they've had and 'had' to get rid of. Or are they buying them at pet stores?

Maybe you can pepper your conversations with "I was reading this article about XXX, it was really interesting...do you know....etc." Each time giving a little education on subjects that you think they need...Would any of it sink it?

Sorry I don't have much else to offer...this is a tough situation you're in...

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Nothing they've done is really animal abuse, they are just bad pet parents. Except for this last event with the abandonment on vacation...and dropping Kitty's mama off at the farm.

Otherwise, they treat the animals "okay" while they have them, they just seem to lose interest. I have said some things, but...they mostly think that I'm crazy for babying my cats.

I'll continue trying to convince her to treat their pets right, but I wish that they's just stop getting pets altogether!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty's Mom
Nothing they've done is really animal abuse
You just said that the kittens didn't have water and food, isn't that animal abuse, not feeding your pets? I feel for these animals .
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Cat

That is really sad. And to be clear, did they declaw the mama cat and leave her outside? Man!

Anyway, I don't know if you can change anything, but let's just pretend they are fostering animals instead of adopting them. I just wish they'd, uh, "foster" adult animals instead of getting them in the prime of cuteness as puppies/kittens. Maybe you can work on getting them to get adult animals instead? Tell them how much easier they are and how you know their personalities.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 11:13 AM

leaving the dog in a kennel 24/7 is animal abuse.
leaving pets with no food and water is animal abuse.

I'm more confrontal LOL I'd be telling her straight up she shouldn't have pets and list the reasons why.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Cool Cat

I wish I had an answer. My husband's brother and sister-in-law have a history of getting expensive purebred puppies that they can't handle, then getting rid of them when they're not "instant" pets (no dog is going to learn anything being crated and penned all the time, they seem to think that the dog will somehow just figure out what he's supposed to do). I also don't like the way they've treated cats (nothing overt, just NOT good owners, IMO).

I recently got the pleasure of telling them they were ineligible to adopt a purebred from the shelter because they have an intact female dog (they're thinking to breed her to "make back the money" they spent buying her, even after I offered to PAY them their outlay, in cash, and pay to have the dog spayed). They weren't too pleased with me, but I could just fall back on "them's the rules" and avoid a family feud.

I have not been able to tell them ANYTHING...I just avoid going over there.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious
I'm more confrontal LOL I'd be telling her straight up she shouldn't have pets and list the reasons why.
I am the same way... it caused trouble in my family already, but my blood boils so fast, I just cannot help it

I would try to make them understand how much "easier" their life would be without pets, and how much suffering they would spare their pets by giving them to responsible, loving owners who would not dispose of them like they would dispose of old furniture. If their pets are not "good pets", it's because they are not good owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page