Ortiz pees on the spare mattress - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Ortiz pees on the spare mattress

This Friday when my sis was reading and watching the cats playing in my room, she saw Ortiz peed on my spare memory foam mattress.

So I bought the Nature's Miracle and a black light today. Screened the whole room and found two spots with urine stains. We also found their favorite plastic bag with pee on it.

He is still using the litter box several times as I see today so I hope it is not UTI. Besides he is so young and the foster home feed them canned food. I was originally scheduling a initial pet visit for them so I guess I will just keep that as planned.

I soaked the spots with Nature's Miracle. Started to put some paper plates with kibbles on those spots. Planning to buy another litter box to put on another side of the room to avoid dirty box issue or litter box competition. (Though I clean the box twice a day, minimum)

Hope this will cover and the issue will be gone. Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Make sure to really soak the spots you found with the Nature's Miracle. And get him in for that vet check tomorrow, don't wait a couple days...if he's going outside the box due to a UTI, it means he's in pain when he goes, so you want to get him some help quickly.

Kobi had a UTI when he was about 14 weeks old...so it's possible for them to get one when they're young. He was using the box sometimes and other times going in the corner behind the Christmas tree . I couldn't believe such a young kitty would have a UTI, so I was trying all kinds of litterbox and litter changes and everything but getting him checked for a UTI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!!

After I've done all that, Ortiz was acting a bit different.

He ate his dinner EVO can, not finished but good amount. Then we put those kibbles in paper plates and he finished one plate and worked on the second while there are still EVO can food in his regular bowl.

He usually LOVES EVO. What is about it? I am getting really worried. They are both going to the vet tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

No luck today!!

Made a vet appointment this afternoon during work this morning.
Took both of them to the vet so that it can be a more comforting experience having some accompany.

The vet told me they were tested FIV too young, it is better to do it again. We have to do both of them then, of course. Good that it is negative. And the vet said they are perfectly healthy. Ortiz took an urine sample for analysis, will have the result tomorrow. The vet said it looks fine but we will look into the result tomorrow. Since it is not often that we went to the vet, hopefully, I've decided to have microchipping done today also.

After 1.5hrs, both of them got back to the carrier, I had almost 500 bucks gone, and we took them home. After put them down, I went buy a new litter box. When I got back home, screened the room and found out pees on the old spots.

Apparantly I didn't clean it clean enough. But I also put a plate of food there and he ate from there this morning. I really hope the result of the analysis is ok and the new litter box is working. sigh~~

On top of everything, Ortiz just throw up his dinner when my flatmate plays laser pin with him. The weird thing is, I check the stuff he delivered, I recognize the dried treat that I feed him two hours ago with some kibbles and canned food. Not digested at all. How long does it take for them to digest the food?

It is some way to celebrate the B day I would say.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

If the test comes back negative, I would try confining him to a small room (bathroom?) with his litterbox and some Cat Attract litter...along with food and toys...let him live in there for a few days and see if it entices him into using the box again.

Has anything changed recently? Did you change litter...is the flatmate a new addition? Anything at all? Sometime a change in their life will cause a cat to 'act out' by not using the box.

And yes...really, really clean the spots with Nature's Miracle. Don't spray it on...pour it on, so it soaks all the way in like the urine did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks doodle!!

I don't want to isolate Ortiz in the bathroom while Ola get to sleep on the bed with us. But if I comfine both of them in the bathroom..... well, Ola is pretty good at vocalizing his emotions.

Besides, I kinda blame Ola being such an ass always intrude when Ortiz goes. Even I got an additional litterbox, Ola always go after Ortiz when he gets into the litter box. (so far, nothing in the new one, yet)

I will see how it goes.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

And nope, there is nothing changed. They are always very close to flatmates. Play sections every night.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
If the test comes back negative, I would try confining him to a small room (bathroom?) with his litterbox and some Cat Attract litter...along with food and toys...let him live in there for a few days and see if it entices him into using the box again.
The result is negative. Just the urine is a bit concerntrate so I need to make him drink more. (Strange that I think he drinks a lot.) But as long as it is good, I am good.

Three days in a row searching pees on the carpet is no fun. I am starting to make all the wild guess on why they do this.

1. Maybe the ex-tenant's cats urine stained wasn't cleaned out when they move out? But we have lived there for more than one year.
2. Ola always try to get in the litter box when Ortiz goes. (It didn't improve even we put more litter boxes. Ola insists to go play with Ortiz whenever he heard Ortiz is using the litter.)
3. Maybe they don't like the litter? litter box?
4. Because we are trying out new food? But they did it before I start to try the new food.

I found out more spots through the search last night. Apparantly he doesn't mind to pee next to the food. He can pee then eat at that place.

The weird thing is, I don't really smell the urine unless I put my nose right on top of the spot. That is probably the reason why I didn't find out the problem until my sis saw him do it in front of her face. And usually they pee a good amount of urine. How come I don't smell it? I know I am having my seasonal allergy, but my nose shouldn't be that bad.

Anyway, I finally confined both of them in the bathroom last night and today. They seem ok in the bathroom. Didn't cry a bit last night. (surprise.) Just I didn't sleep well without the furballs around my head. I will continue keep them in the bath room until tomorrow off work. Need to go back to all the spots cleaning them again tonight.

One question, they use the Feline Pine. At least whenever they are in my sight, they are using it fine. Should I change litter? I really don't want to use the mineral kind of litter due to all the dust and not environmental friendly.

Any advise will be appreciated.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Premier Cat

You could try the kind of litter that feels more like a clay litter but is made of ground corn..or the Swheat Scoop. I like those and my kitties seem to as well.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:05 AM
Banned

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page