moving abroad with cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

moving abroad with cat

I'm planning to move to England next summer and I want to bring my cat with me. I have to start thinking about how we will move now, so I would like some advice, please.

She's suffered from anxiety issues and I want to make the move as easy on her as possible. She loves to go for trips in her cat carrier, so length of time in transit isn't as much of an issue as environmental issues.

I plan to follow all the recommendations for adjusting to a new home, but I was wondering about people's recommendations for being in transit.

My two options are to go via ship on the Queen Mary 2, or fly.

Ship: Would be 6 days in the kennel. I could visit with her twice per day, there is staff to monitor her (so meds can be administered if needed) and I can take her out for walks and play when I visit. Unless there's a storm, I don't see much of an issue with sudden jolting, but she may be uneasy being around other animals for a week as she won't be able to go in the cabin with us.

Flight: Would have to fly as cargo. would be confined to cat carrier for trip and there would be no staff to monitor her for the flight. She would not be able to have any medications because there is no way of knowing ahead of time how animals will react to the high altitude and medications and no one is around if something happens. I'm afraid take off and landings, as well as turbulence would be terrifying for her. There would be less time away from me than if we moved via cruise.

I think Chloƫ's trip would be easier on her in transit if we moved via ship, but going by air would be "getting it over with" and it wouldn't take as long before settling into a new home. With her temperament, I'm not sure which may be better for her anxiety. I'll talk to the vet as well, but I wanted to have some more thoughts from people.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 03:05 AM
Banned

I think your first concern should be the 6 months quarantine your cat might be forced to undertake. I dont think America is covered under our 'animal passport scheme' because you have rabies over there (Britain is rabies free).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 AM
Tom Cat

Is there no way you can take your cat in the cabin of the plane? I know some members have done that but maybe you can't on international flights.

On a related note, has anyone gone through the quarantine process with their pets before? I'd be interested to know what exactly is involved with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 05:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelae
Is there no way you can take your cat in the cabin of the plane? I know some members have done that but maybe you can't on international flights.

On a related note, has anyone gone through the quarantine process with their pets before? I'd be interested to know what exactly is involved with it.
I know a lady who took her rabbit in the cabin with her - flew from the UK to the US.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

They have a PETS Scheme now. The US is included. I just have to have her chipped, rabies vaccinated, and a sufficient blood test more than 6 months prior and a flea and tick treatment 24-48 hours before leaving. She's all set on the bloodwork and vaccinations. I wouldn't put her through quarantine.

The PETS Scheme doesn't allow animals entry if they've been in the cabin, with exceptions such as seeing eye dogs, etc... I think that changed in the past few years though, because I have heard of people taking the pets in the cabin with them.

They only have three approved routes from my area, British Airways World Cargo, Virgin Atlantic Cargo, and the QM2.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 11:37 AM

I have started looking up the same things recently just in case I would move back home in the years to come (home is France), and I think you can bring your cat with you in the cabin. You have to contact the airline company very early on though, as they usually allow only 2 or 3 pets in the cabin per flight. You will have to keep your cat in a carrier that is airline approved, and will fit beneath your seat. I don't know whether they charge you more for this or not, but it is a much better solution than having her fly in the hold - this is very traumatizing, especially for cats.

Just found this for you on the Pet Scheme website: Pets travelling to the UK by air will travel as cargo, unless they are a registered assistance dog entering with an approved airline, on a route that permits them to travel in the cabin. Check the costs, requirements and procedures with your transport company well before you travel.

Seems that you CAN travel with your cat in the cabin IF you can reserve your seat early enough for the company to allow you that.
Hope this helps!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Premier Cat

My step daughter and her husband were stationed in Korea. While there they rescued 2 feral cats. They were able to bring them home in the cabin on the airplane with them. They had benadryl to give them if they were stressed, but they didn't need it. I think it was a 12+ hour flight.

If you need info just PM me and I will find out everything from my step daughter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks.

I think I worded my post wrong! I think people used to be able to take pets in the cabin if travelling internationally from the US to the UK, but not anymore. I looked into it and they now only allow assistance dogs on certain routes. No other animals can fly in the cabin.

So, to get to the UK, Chloƫ will have to be separated from me either for a flight or a ship voyage. I'm just trying to figure out whether it'll be easier on her (especially due to her anxiety) to travel on the QM2 or by plane. I wouldn't be able to book her on the flight until 2 weeks before we leave, but if I decide to go on the QM2 then I would have to book by the end of the summer or risk not getting her on board.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Banned

I think whatever is faster would be your best bet, to get it over with as soon as you can if you don't have any other options. Maybe your vet can give you something to calm her down?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesnBaby
I think whatever is faster would be your best bet, to get it over with as soon as you can if you don't have any other options. Maybe your vet can give you something to calm her down?
Not if we fly. Pets aren't allowed to have sedatives on planes because there is nobody to monitor them in cargo and the uncertainty of how they would react at altitude is risky. She could have something if we went on the boat. That's more like boarding her at a regular kennel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page